Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Elements 8 - Memory Warning

Nov 23, 2012 11:59 AM

I know this is an older version, but at the moment it's all I have and I have a project I need to get out the door.

Basically creating a video from a number of photographic stills edited in Photoshop. After I had added about 7 images I get a memory warning that Elements is getting low on memory and to proceed with caution and the rendering in the time line stopped, just showed a placeholder and not the image.  Inspecting my system, there is at leat 14 GB of free  memory available.

Checked the preferences to see if I could allocate more memory (like you can do in Photoshop) but could not find any setting to be able to do this.

The images are for a 1920x1080 presentation I need to send to a client.

I am running Windows 7 x64 with 16 GB of memory with a i7 processor. Latest Windows and Elements patches applied

Anyone have any advice or suggestions

Mike

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 23, 2012 12:16 PM   in reply to MikeKPhoto

With a 64-bit OS, and that 16GB of RAM, you should have enough of that type of memory.

I would explore your Windows Virtual Memory Page File settings. Where is located, normally your C:\? What is the size of it, and how is it managed, statically, or dynamically, as is needed?

What are the details of your I/O sub-system, i.e. your physical HDD's, their size, their free-space (very important), controller type(s), and how do you have them allocated?

Last, though the Still Image size should not be an issue in an HD Project, approximately how many do you have in your Timeline?

Good luck, and please let us know just a bit more.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 12:22 PM   in reply to MikeKPhoto

Read Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798

-Too Large May = Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/879967

-And another crash report http://forums.adobe.com/thread/973935

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 3:07 PM   in reply to MikeKPhoto

Mike,

Glad that you got the Project out the door.

You are correct, in that I see nothing, that should cause Memory Errors, with your system. The CPU, the Page File, the installed RAM and the I/O sub-system seem very stout. Even with several other Adobe programs open, you should not have an issue - unless you perhaps have a bad stick of RAM?

You have already Scaled those Images, and 20 should not be the limit, by a longshot. Though it's apples to oranges, I just started a Project in PrE 4.0, NTSC DV Widescreen 16:9, on an older laptop, Core 2 Quad, 3x 250GB SATA II HDD's with from 100GB to 180GB free, XP-Pro, 4GB RAM and a static Page File of 12GB. I had 230+ Scaled (remember, I was doing an SD Project) PSD's, about 12 Titles (one a 40 sec. Roll, so a 720 x 4000 px. PSD), and animated sequence at the beginning. Not only did I have no error messages, but it edited very smoothly, and I often had Photoshop open too. I output to a DV AVI, and Imported that into PrPro, to finish, as I needed a DD 5.1 SS Soundtrack. Many differences, but with puny equipment, compared to yours, plus a 32-bit OS.

You might want to test your RAM, and also take a look at Event Viewer, to see if you are getting any error, or warning messages there, about the time you get one from PrE. Otherwise, I am at a total loss. Maybe others will think of something that I am missing.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 4:35 PM   in reply to MikeKPhoto

Wow, I had forgotten about Adobe's foray into Background Rendering. I would never have thought of that, but will try to encode it into my memory. That was PrE 8, right?

Pinnacle, before it was acquired by AVID, tried that, but people could just not edit. Even simple changes prompted the Background Rendering, and everything just shut down, until finished, but then, the problem started over again, with just a simple Transition.

Great detective work, and thank you for reporting.

Happy editing, and good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 6:52 PM   in reply to MikeKPhoto

Mike,

You were smarter, than I was. I kept with Pinnacle for many versions, and then did AVID Liquid. I was dissatisfied, so jumped to Premiere Pro 1.0 (being an Adobe user for a bazillion years), and never looked back. I found PrE to do some things that PrPro could not do, or could not do easily, and have had both on at least one computer, ever since.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points