Skip navigation
poetHoward
Currently Being Moderated

Color Replacement Brush not coloring right

Nov 23, 2012 6:02 PM

I'm using PSE 11 and want to replace the brown color with white using the Color Replacement Brush.

Screen-shot-2012-11-23-at-8.47.jpg

Here are my Color Replacement Brush settings:

Screen shot 2012-11-23 at 8.41.25 PM.png

Unexpectedly, when I brush over the brown area, instead of the brown changing to white it's changing to a bluish-gray.

Screen shot 2012-11-23 at 9.00.20 PM.png

Anyone know why the brushed color isn't changing to white?

My OS is Snow Leopard on a MacBook Pro.

Howard

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 23, 2012 8:29 PM   in reply to poetHoward

This is how color replacement tool works. In color replacement tool we have only for Blending modes option available - Color , Hue , Saturation and Luminosity.  Currently your blending mode is color . In color mode the result color takes the luminance of the base image color and the hue and saturation of the foreground painting color. This is what it does in the picture posted above.

Paint Bucket tool is the correct tool for the type of change you want. In Paint Bucket tool , set the blending mode to Normal and then just click on the Brown color.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2012 2:00 PM   in reply to poetHoward

Most of the time this tool does not work.

Try this:

1. Make a selection of the brown rim with the marquee tool (see marching ants)
    2. Set foreground color chip to white
    3. Edit>fill selection>Contents: foreground color
    4. CTRL+D

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 2:23 AM   in reply to poetHoward

Hi,

In my post above I have explained the logic of  "Color" Blending mode.

It’s helpful to think in terms of the following colors when visualizing a blending mode’s effect:

•The base color is the original color in the image.

•The blend color is the color being applied with the painting or editing tool.

•The result color is the color resulting from the blend.

Color blending mode - Creates a result color with the luminance of the base color and the hue and saturation of the blend color. This preserves the gray levels in the image and is useful for coloring monochrome images and for tinting color images.

The color replacement tool is working as per above Color  blend behaviour. Hope it helps

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 8:01 AM   in reply to hatstead

Actually it works better in PSE 11 than in most recent versions (they finally fixed the sampling options), but it does have the limitations described by 27prac. It's a pretty specific-need kind of tool.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points