Skip navigation
MillowQc
Currently Being Moderated

How print high rez halftone pattern

Nov 23, 2012 9:44 PM

Hello,

I'm looking for a way to print at around 200 lpi with a laser printer, but I don't know which one.

I've bought a Laserjet Pro 200 n251mw but it doesn't seem to be able to print in halftone even with the PS emulation.

What printer (sub 500$) could help me achieve this kind of resolution ? I'd like to be able to reproduce the distinctive rosette pattern on one of my collectible playing card.

I've looked everywhere on google, but most of the doc about halftone is referring to low lpi work like T-Shirts.

The fact is that I can produce the desired halftone pattern I want in Illustrator, I just can't seem to find a way to print it.

I've read about Xerox printers on this forum that are maybe able to do it, but I don't know.

Is a  600 dpi laser printer enough or do I need more ?

Here's a sample of the halftone I want to reproduce, the canvas is approximately ¾ of an inch.

PB240446.jpg

Sorry if its not clear, english is not my first language.

Thank you for any help

Cheers

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 23, 2012 10:19 PM   in reply to MillowQc

At 600 dpi you would have approx. 10 shades of gray. So you would either have to increase the dpi or decrease the lpi to gain more shades of gray.

This is the formula taken directly from Adobe's print publishing guide.

(dpi / lpi) squared + 1 = # of shades of gray

Hopefully this helps rather than confuses the issue. LOL.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2012 6:30 AM   in reply to MillowQc

Said another way:

Halftone dots vary in size to suggest grays. You desire a 200 LPI halftone screen ruling. 1/200th inch, center to center.

But your printer only prints dots of a single size. Typical laser printers print 600 printer spots per inch. 1/600th inch, center to center.

Halftone dots are built up from printer spots.

Is a 600 dpi laser printer enough...?

Not even close.

At a halftone ruling of 200 LPI, a 600 SPI printer would have a grid of only 9 (3x3) printer spots out of which to build each halftone dot. So it could only print nine different sizes of halftone dots. In other words, it could only simulate 10 different gray tones--9 levels of gray, plus one for white. For what is considered normal "full range" reproduction of your image, you need to be able to print 256 levels of gray.

So even if your print driver would accept a 200 LPI setting, your print would be horribly posterized.

And that's not all:

I'd like to be able to reproduce the distinctive rosette pattern on one of my collectible playing card.

The printer spots of laser printers are little fuzzy-edged globs of toner powder attracted to the printing drum by static electricity. They are not the comparitively far more sharp-edged shapes that a laser can burn into a photo-sensitive emulsion on a plate or on film. You're not going to get sharply-shaped halftone dots from from a laser printer.

What printer (sub 500$) could help me achieve this kind of resolution ?

Not gonna happen. Not even in the same state, let alone the same ballpark. Fact is, laser printers are very low resolution devices.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2012 7:37 PM   in reply to MillowQc

...could I have better results with inkjets printers ?

No,  not given that you are specifically trying to reproduce a 200 LPI halftone rosette. Most inkjet printers nowadays do not print halftones (varying -size dots, consistent frequency); they use stochastic printing (same size dots; varying frequency). It's "FM" screening, rather than halftoning's "AM" screening. An entirely different kind of tone simulation. With stochastic screening, there are no rosettes.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2012 8:02 PM   in reply to JETalmage

200 lpi is way beyond regular offset printing as well. Only very high-end presses can achieve this quality. See http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/intermediate/a/measure_lpi.htm (random first Google hit) for a more expansive explanation.

Are you sure you are not talking about 200 DPI instead?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2012 8:06 PM   in reply to [Jongware]

.. for further reflection: at 200 lpi, the rosettas will each be 3/200 inch in diameter -- approx. 0.38 millimeter. Not much of a rosetta to see (which is, of course, exactly the reason to print at such a high resolution).

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 5:05 AM   in reply to MillowQc

In fact, I amazingly solved the problem by using Corel Draw whichs prints perfect rosette on a 600 dpi printer, I must say that I am amazed right now.

Nonsense. Corel Draw doesn't control the printer (nor does Illustrator) in how it builds halftone rosettes; the print driver does.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 4:03 PM   in reply to MillowQc

Please, How did you achieve that? I have a 1200x1200 laser, with a PS driver and I cannot print a rosette pattern... all the prints, despite the high quality, is all smooth... I need to print the same rosette pattern that is in your collectible card... the problem I have is not the lpi or resolution... I cannot print halftones AT ALL... I even tried ghostscript... I tried illustrator and corel, I can change angles, frequencies, etc but my printer just ignores it... I tried changing drivers, getting older versions of the drivers, etc... nothing will print those rosettes... PLEASE, someone help me

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 4:54 AM   in reply to MillowQc

Hi! Thank you for your answer!

My printer is an HP Laserjet Enterprise 500 M551DN with a 1200x1200 resolution and Postscript support. If you were able to print the rosettes with a 600x600, I think I should be able to do that too but, I'm a total newbie in that department! Thank you again for your help!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 6:44 AM   in reply to MillowQc

Thank you again for your reply

Your printer (Laserjet Pro 200 n251mw) is also with PS emulation, right? I'm asking because I don't need a "perfect" rosette and since my printer have double the resolution, I might get something a little better than you got... maybe. Could you describe the process you used to achieve the "good but far from perfect" results?

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points