Skip navigation
rlewandowski23
Currently Being Moderated

How can I make folder view the default view when I open Organizer?

Nov 24, 2012 5:56 AM

Tags: #organizer #view #elements #folder

I just bought Adobe Elements Photshop and Premier 11.  I spent 2 to 3 hours getting my picture video library into Adobe's organizer.  I had some problems with duplicate picture (that I wanted to be there - so I had to rename them) and a couple pictures with corrupted metadata.  After I got all that sorted out I am a bit miffed about the folder view on Adob'es organizer.

I love that you can switch to folder view - since this is how I have been organizing my pictures for a long time.  I would like to continue organizing this way for now until I get a grasp on the other ways I can organize them in elements.  However, every time I close and re-open organizer it switches back to the default view instead of folder view.  PLEASE tell me that there is a way to set folder view to the default view!  HELP!

Replies
  • 99jon
    12,810 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Nov 24, 2012 6:02 AM   in reply to rlewandowski23

Are you running from an administrator account or user account. If the latter make sure you have full read/write privileges. On Windows you could try right-clicking to launch the Organizer application and choosing “Run As Administrator” Then set your preferred folder view and close Elements. Re launch and hopefully your settings will stick.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,810 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Nov 24, 2012 6:25 AM   in reply to rlewandowski23

Sorry, I thought it may possibly work. Perhaps it’s a design feature to speed up the Organizer launch. It looks like you need to click the yellow pins and the plus/minus symbols to get the expanded tree.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 24, 2012 8:22 AM   in reply to 99jon

99jon wrote:

Perhaps it’s a design feature to speed up the Organizer launch.

I am sure it is.

- The normal use of the Organizer is not the folder view, it's the thumbnail view with an organization based on categories and folder. That way you should forget completely where your pictures are stored. Anyway, the folder view in the Explorer is not a map of the location of the different bits of your file, it's only a logical representation. That's easy to see when you are doing a defragmentation.

- The folder view is useful even for those using normally the thumbnail view, but that is only for rare cases when you must change the folder organization, for instance moving files to another drive. The folder view is here to prevent you from changing things from the explorer and outside of the Organizer.

- The new folder list view, which you find 'funny' is there to help better organizing using tags. Its huge advantage is that such a view is created extremely quickly by extracting the last subfolder in the media table : it's the way the database sees the folders, based on its own content,  totally ignoring the complex folder organization of your disk with media files or any unrelated other kind of data. You should use it in many cases, the main purpose being assigning tags when you have assigned descriptive folder names. I had suggested such a solution to prevent the long standing bugs in the folder view of previous versions.

So yes, the purpose is:

- to speed up switching modes

- to help folder organization fans to migrate to tags organization

- to hopefully get rid of the old folder organization bugs

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 25, 2012 8:28 AM   in reply to rlewandowski23

rlewandowski23 wrote:

So is there no way to have Adobe Organizer open in folder hierarchy mode?

I don't know how to keep that option 'sticky'. That sounds it would be easy to implement since once you do the additional click, the switch is immediate ; curiously it does display the folder tree in the same expanded or collapsed state as when you did quit the Organizer ?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points