Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Where are the HTML5 code hints stored in the Configuration folder?

Nov 24, 2012 4:37 AM

There is a bug in Dreamweaver CS6 where the HTML5 code hints (and maybe others) stop working when you install the ColdFusion 10 extensions for Dreamweaver. If you uninstall the ColdFusion extensions then the HTML5 code hints work again.

I want to keep a copy of the HTML5 code hints and then 'paste' them back in after installtion the Coldfusion extensions so that Dreamweaver has all the code hints it should have. Why Adobe didn't bother to test their software for code hinting is beyond me, especially when Coldfusion is one of their own products! But anyway does anyone know where the HTML5 code hints are stored for tags like <header> and <footer> ?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 24, 2012 5:29 AM   in reply to solaced

The overall control of code hints for tag-based languages is in a file called C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS6\configuration\TagLibraries\TagLibraries.vtm. It's in a similar location on other operating systems.

However, any changes to tag-based code hints are loaded from the TagLibraries folder in your personal configuration folder (see http://forums.adobe.com/thread/494812 for its location on different operating systems).

I suspect that what has happened is that whoever created the ColdFusion 10 code hints extension added the new CF tags to an old version of TagLibraries.vtm. That would explain why HTML5 code hints disappear. Dreamweaver always uses the version of TagLibraries.vtm in your personal configuration folder if it exists. As soon as you uninstall the CF10 code hints, Dreamweaver deletes TagLibraries.vtm from your personal configuration folder, and reverts to using the default version in the main program configuration folder.

Since you're comfortable coding with ColdFusion, you should probably have little difficulty editing the version of TagLibraries.vtm in your personal configuration folder. Just copy the first <taglibrary> element from the default TagLibraries.vtm and use it to replace the one created by the CF10 extension. You should then have both CF10 and HTML5 code hints.

I'm pretty sure that will fix the issue for you. But you should file a bug report concerning the extension. The ColdFusion team is completely separate from the DW one, and from what I hear, they don't communicate much. It should be a trivial matter for the CF team to update their extension.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 12:48 AM   in reply to solaced

Lack of communication between departments is common in large organizations for a variety of reasons. I wouldn't write off ColdFusion just yet.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 6:47 AM   in reply to solaced

Married couples don't always get on. What I heard from an Adobe insider is that the ColdFusion team would prefer everyone to switch to ColdFusion Builder. As for the development of CF moving to India, that's true of many Adobe products, including Dreamweaver.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points