Skip navigation
DesignSpeed
Currently Being Moderated

System specs for indesign

Nov 24, 2012 5:00 AM

Tags: #hardware #indesign #performance

I am upgrading to cs6 (Pr, Ps, Ai...) so i am thinking of buying a new workstation (at work). We buy all our pcs from Lenovo. I have the specs and i just wantend a second opinion about the systems potencial performance with Adobe cs6 products. We usually multitask in our workflow so some apps are almost always runing simultaniously (ID, PS, lightroom, Ai...). Will this system handle the load?

Specs:

Lenovo ThinkCentre M92p Tower

Processor: Intel Core i7-3770 (3.4GHz,8M Cache)

Total memory: 16 GB PC3-12800 1600MHz UDIMM (2 DIMM)

GPU: Nvidia Geforce GT 640

HD 1: 180GB SSD 2.5" SATA3 Intel 520
HD 2: 1TB 7200RPM SATA 3.5 6Gb/s

I wanted to go with a faster graphic card but aperantly there is not enough space in the tower for a Nvidia htx 670.

Please tell me what you think.

tnx

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 24, 2012 6:39 AM   in reply to DesignSpeed

You don't day how the system is set up on those two drives (I would but the OS and your applications on the ssd, myself) or how much RAM is on the video card, but the only thing I would say you might want to add is a dedicated scratch drive. The processor and RAM can certainly handle the load, and even the low end 1GB model onteh vido card should be adequate for ID, Photoshop, Illustrator and Acrobat. I don't do video or 3D, so I can't comment on them, but I suspect they would benefit from more memory on the video card.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 24, 2012 7:06 AM   in reply to DesignSpeed

I believe the rule of thumb for scratch disk is 4 times the size of the largest file you work on, but you'll have a lot of trouble finding anything that small anymore.

My system is a bit over a year old now and I didn't spend money on SSDs because people I trust said at the time they weren't really ready for prime time. I'm using a 300 GB SATA II drive, which is vastly too large from just a space consideration, but it was relatively inexpensinve and extra space doesn't count againt it. An SSD would probably be faster, but I'm not convinced it would make enough difference to justify the added expense unless you are really a power user in Photoshop. Same goes for RAID, but if you want to hear all the arguments, ask over in the Photoshop forum.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points