Skip navigation
LQ_Yisheng
Currently Being Moderated

Website root folder for public_html

Nov 24, 2012 11:38 AM

This is probably a newbie question, can someone tell me how to set up the root folder in Dreamweaver so when I put stuff onto my website, all the stuff goes into the server's home/username/public_html?

Locally, my laptop has this file structure: D:/kevin/media/symphony/public_html/[files for the website]

So I select D:/kevin/media/symphony as the local site folder in manage sites. But this puts all my files onto the server's home/username/public_html/symphony/public_html, then I'd have to manually move all my stuff from home/username/public_html/symphony/public_html to home/username/public_html via cPanel's file manager, then delete the extra empty folders created. I'm using Hostgator as the host provider by the way. I'm just used to using Dreamweaver to transfer files and I don't want to switch to cPanel's file manager or web disk (which by the way doesn't work on my computer for some reason).

Before with Godaddy I didn't have this problem as D:/kevin/media/symphony would automatically be my root folder.

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 24, 2012 12:13 PM   in reply to LQ_Yisheng

public_html goes into your remote server settings where it says Root Directory:

CS6-remote-site-root-folder.jpg

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2012 2:15 PM   in reply to LQ_Yisheng

>Locally, my laptop has this file structure:

>D:/kevin/media/symphony/public_html/[files for the website]

FYI...You really don't need the local public_html folder unless you intend to store files above site root there. But remember that DW does not manage files above site root.

>So I select D:/kevin/media/symphony

>as the local site folder in manage sites.

That's incorrect. The local site needs to point to the folder that represents site root. So in your current directory structure, your local site should be D:/kevin/media/symphony/public_html/

Nancy's already provided you the details for the remote site

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2012 10:55 PM   in reply to LQ_Yisheng

>is it normal that my remote server's home/username/www/

>is an exact replica of home/username/public_html?

"www" and "public_html" are both commonly used directory names for a site's public folder. Usually a host would provide one or the other. I would guess that your host creates symbolic links from one to the other. In other words, there really is not any duplication of files, one is simply an alias. Check with your host and read their documentation for more details.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points