Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Is there a way to make a new layer from a selection simply by dragging?

Nov 24, 2012 7:03 PM

I recently watched a video of an artist working and I swear it looks like he made a lasso selection on a smart object layer, dragged the selection, and instantly created a new layer of the selection alone. He did this successively to sample parts of an image for later usage. I can't figure out for the life of me how he was doing it and I can't find anywhere that PS has this ability. For one, lassoing an area of a smart object doesn't allow me to duplicate that selection, PS acts like I want to duplicate the entire image, if I hold down the ALT key. Also, if I try to make a duplicate of a selection with a non-smart object layer I can duplicate the selection via dragging by holding ALT, but the duplicate is still on the same layer as the original object, which is NOT what I want. I know how to use copy/paste, so PLEASE do not suggest that I do this, OR use the CTRL+J feature. I'm simply trying to figure out what this person is doing. If this makes no sense I can provide a link to the video...

Replies
  • JJMack
    6,017 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 24, 2012 7:54 PM   in reply to sharkcellar

Maybe you missed him doing the copy paste because he used the short cuts Ctrl+C Ctrl+V which would not be seen in a video. It would look like a drag in a video....

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points