Skip navigation
Pete Yang
Currently Being Moderated

Gradients Illustrator + Photoshop

Nov 24, 2012 7:17 PM

Tags: #illustrator #photoshop #chart #gradient

Hello,

I'm new to design and have found this style of chart in an annual report. I have, with permission, decomposed the chart to see how it was made 1) is the original, 2) removed the centre ring, 3) the outer ring (and showing that it is two different charts, and 4) the plain chart. The second image shows image 4) after removing all the clipping masks (note the centre circle chart represents the clipping masks)

It would appear that a photoshop vector image has been used as a base for each of the wedges. I tried to recreate using the same colours, however, in AI they appear flat and lifeless, not at all like the images below. Does anyone know how to make a nice version of this chart that appears to have depth using Illustrator?

1234.jpgAfter removing clipping masks.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 24, 2012 9:43 PM   in reply to Pete Yang

Looks like your missing step 5. The center is brighter than the out side. So, it has an additional circle for the center and the two circles are blended together to give it a gradient.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 9:41 PM   in reply to Pete Yang

Sent you a pm. BTW I only have CS5 so make sure you use that version when saving if you have CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 10:55 PM   in reply to Silkrooster

Here is the steps for getting close to the original. I will email you a copy of the ai and pdf file so you can look at it a bit closer.

Pie-chart.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points