Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Problem with black in export

Nov 25, 2012 12:29 AM

(InDesign CS 6, Acrobat X, Win 7). I'm having a problem with a solid black fill in a text box coming out semi-transparent when I export to PDF/x-1a:2001 (or x-3 or x-4). If I export it as High Quality Press the black prints solid, but the printer prefers x-1a.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 25, 2012 1:38 AM   in reply to Clark Kenyon

@Clark – I bet the solid black fill is "overprinting" ("semi-transparent" in your words) in any case, be it a PDF/X or exported by "High Quality Press". But in the case of "High Quality Press" Acrobat X is not showing the overprint effect, because it only does that (by default) with a PDF/X type of PDF.

In Acrobat Pro go to the Preferences/Page Display/Page Content and Information. In the section "Use Overprint Preview" choose "Always" instead of "Only for PDF/X Files".

If you do not want to overprint the solid black fill (that is filled with the color "[Black]"), you can do two things:

In InDesign:

1. Foolproof method for all PDF workflows:

Create a new swatch with: 1% Yellow and 100% Black
    Apply that color instead of the [Black]

2. Not exactly foolproof, because the printers could choose something like "Overprint Black in any case" in their workflow. It would be the wrong decision on their side, but you never know:

Create a new swatch with 100% Black, call it "MustNotOverprint_Black" or something…

Apply that color instead of the [Black]

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 25, 2012 1:47 AM   in reply to Laubender

And another thing:
    maybe you could use a color that is a "rich" black; that means something like 30c 23m 20y 100k.

That depends on the specific situation in your layout. The size of your black area, the colors behind it, the size and color of your text above the black area (if present at all).

We need a screen shot of your text frame to tell for sure.

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,127 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 25, 2012 7:00 AM   in reply to Laubender

2. Not exactly foolproof, because the printers could choose something like "Overprint Black in any case" in their workflow.

It would be fool proof if you add cyan and magenta—even .5% will work

Screen shot 2012-11-25 at 9.46.37 AM.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points