Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adding pages to articles which contain alternate layouts

Nov 25, 2012 2:38 AM

If I have an article with alternate layouts set up and decide I need to add another page it does not seem to play nicely.

In the pages palette  I have 2 columns iPad H and iPad V. If I create a new page under iPad H and try to give it an alternate layout I get a dialog saying "Alternate layout name cannot be blank, must be unique, and cannot end with a "*" or a ";" character." It will not let me save as iPad V as there is already a layout there so I save as iPad V2 but when I test on iPad the H page shows up in the layout but the V2 page does not.

Does this mean I need to create new article to replace the old one, add all my H layouts to it and then create alternate layouts for each of these again?

Cannot find a good tutorial on the subject.

Message was edited by: RollDotHome

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 25, 2012 5:11 AM   in reply to RollDotHome

Select the last page in the layout you want to add a page to. Press the new page button in the pages panel.

Does that not work?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 11:35 AM   in reply to RollDotHome

Have you tried duplicating the page and specifying where you want it?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 1:28 PM   in reply to RollDotHome

Move the pages using the move pages command. Choose the other document as the destination and where in the document you want the pages.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 2:34 PM   in reply to RollDotHome

Just drag them to the right place in the document and apply the right master to them.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 4:20 AM   in reply to RollDotHome

It does work but you need to keep in mind what is actually happening here. Those alternate layouts are really section breaks in the document.

By creating new pages AFTER the alternate layout has been created you're going to have to do some manual work to get pages in the correct place with the correct master.

I've tried it here and you can indeed drag pages between alternate layouts.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points