Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Image is not showing up correctly on iPhone

Nov 24, 2012 11:59 PM

I have a background texture which was create in photoshop which I'm trying to display to iOS. I'm converting it to a PNG-24, and when I put it on the phone, the colors don't come out right (it's suppose to be yellow, instead comes our orangey). I've tried following the instructions here http://bjango.com/articles/photoshop/ ie changing some of the color settings and I still can't get it to work. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do? The file is only 600kb large and is shown below:

Background1.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 25, 2012 10:13 PM   in reply to kissfrito@yahoo.com

Hi there!. You’ve posted your question in a forum that is for beginners trying to learn the basics of Photoshop.  I'm moving your question to the Photoshop General Discussion forum for specialized attention to your situation.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Nov 26, 2012 8:59 AM   in reply to kissfrito@yahoo.com

Looks kind of orange here, on a calibrated monitor. 

Is it possible the system on which you're creating the image is improperly calibrated, and you're making it look the way you like when in fact the RGB numbers are biased toward red?

This is yellow (R=255, G=255, B=0) in the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 color space:

Yellow.png

This is more or less the color of your image, which I would say is decidedly orange.

Orange.png

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Nov 26, 2012 3:21 PM   in reply to kissfrito@yahoo.com

LOL, make no mistake about it, the image you posted is more orange than yellow.

Did you compare the two images I posted above on your iPhone5?

I don't know whether iPhones do color-management, but you've already proven two different ones yield two different images.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 3:27 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

iPhones and iPads do no color management.

And the displays vary a bit (sometimes coming from different manufacturers).

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Nov 26, 2012 6:35 PM   in reply to kissfrito@yahoo.com

1.  Your computer is off if you think the image you posted above looks yellow instead of orange.

2.  Given Chris' confirmation above, iPhones apparently don't consider color accuracy particularly important, though I checked here:  The images above look substantially the same on our iPhone and iPad as they do on my computer, though the iPhone appeared a bit more yellowish than the monitor or iPad.

ThreeScreens.jpg

I wonder...  If you can show that your iPhone 5 is displaying colors visibly and significantly different from standard, e.g., by bringing it in to an Apple store and comparing it to other displays there (ideally another iPhone that's showing better color), maybe they'll give you another one.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Nov 26, 2012 7:53 PM   in reply to kissfrito@yahoo.com

It's actually an ex-iPhone 3 (retired, no longer on a network) so it's more like an iPod touch.  I use it on wifi.  It's on iOS 5.1.1.

I want to say it's a 3GS, but it was my son's before he retired it and I am simply not sure.  I paid enough for it (and the subsequent monthly bills) so he could have iStatus in high school but it was too long ago and I just don't remember the model with any certainty.  Is there screen on which I can check?  The About screen identifies the model as MB715LL.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 11:08 PM   in reply to kissfrito@yahoo.com

Thanks for the response, but I know that's not the case since it's showing up correctly when I use it on my iPhone5. But when I put it on my iPhone4, it's incorrect.

Let me get this straight:

• you saved a png without a profile attached

• it appears differently on two separate non-color-managed devices

If I got that right, then what would you expect Photoshop can be used to do anything about it?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 12:33 AM   in reply to kissfrito@yahoo.com

I mainly work for print and while some people find fault with how Color Management is implemented currently I consider it hugely beneficial compared to the prior state.

Unfortunately it would seem that with handhelds and (most) video screens you are in the wild when it comes to color management and color consistency.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points