Skip navigation
NP1203
Currently Being Moderated

File sized markedly increases when converting from Word 2010 to Acrobat X PDF.

Nov 24, 2012 9:00 PM

Tags: #convert_word_to_pdf #word_export

I am PDFing a word document that is about 2 pages of text with one small EPS file in the top header. The PDF comes out looking fine, however when I go to print it, it blows up from about 50KB to 10MB and takes from 5-10 minutes to print. I have an HP 2055dn printer if this matters. I tried saving as an optimized PDF with almost everything stripped, however this is not resolving the problem and at this point I don't know what to do. Thanks for any help on this.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 25, 2012 5:36 AM   in reply to NP1203

Hi,

Though, I'm unclear at 'when I go to print it, it blows up from about 50KB to 10MB' but could you please check the file size of the PDF soon after conversion? You can find it under File->Properties->General Tab. It shouldn't automatically increase the file size at the time of printing.

Would you be able to attach the file (if it's not confidential)?

~Sandeep V.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 11:36 AM   in reply to NP1203

That sounds really odd. I had some difficulties with files blowing up on me but I tended to find it was related to images inserted. Reducing image size / space prior to export was critical in keeping file size under control. I don't necessarily see that as your issue - but if you do have any images in there do what you can to shrink them first.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 10:52 AM   in reply to NP1203

That makes sense - I did that before as well.

If you have any hyperlinks in your text you will want to make sure your "printed" copy preserved them (another pitfall I ran into along these lines).

TEST TEST everything every step of the way on these PDFs (from Word) I'm afraid.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2012 1:30 AM   in reply to NP1203

The Save as Adobe PDF is just the use of PDF Maker. If you got what you wanted with the print that is fine. However, for the future you may want to check the settings file used in both cases and then go to the Adobe menu tab in WORD and check the preference. Things like tags and such can substantially increase the size. There are proper uses for tags, but in some cases they just cause bloat. If you turned off all extra features of PDF Maker (create PDF), then you should get about the same result as the print route as long as the same settings file is used.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points