Skip navigation
ScreenPrintingGuy
Currently Being Moderated

Print postscript halftones via RIP to a high resolution .tiff instead of through a printer to film?

Nov 25, 2012 6:44 AM

Tags: #virtual #printer #rip #halftones #screenprinting

I set up films for screenprinting for remote clents who don't and never will have RIPs.  When I set up films I make halftone greyscale links in photoshop, embed them into Illustrator files and print seps from those through Acrobat.  Then I send the client one huge (900 or 1200ppi) greyscale .pdf or .tiff per film, and print sans RIP.  It's very clunky compared to printing through a RIP.

It would save me hours of work if I could just print through a RIP directly to a .tiff or .pdf without doing all the halftone work in photoshop.  Even if someone could point me in the right direction you'd have my eternal gratitude!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 25, 2012 1:31 PM   in reply to ScreenPrintingGuy

I used to use a PC application that would create .tiff separations ( CMYK ); called PhotoPRINT.  I uesed to create Illustrator EPS files and send them through the application where you could then do whatever you wanted with them.  In my case, they were sent to a que for digital print output.  But, PhotoPRINT allowed me to setup the screening in the application.  I wonder if that could work for you?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 4:26 PM   in reply to ScreenPrintingGuy

Take a look at this...

http://www.macroenter.com/PhotoPRINT_SE_p/ppse5w-m.htm

It's not cheap.  But, you may want to contact them and see if there is any way to get a demo.  Also, look at the specs in the "Extended Information" tab.  3/4 of the way down they make reference to color separations.  I used this RIP in a large format workstation.  Very good, very fast.  I used to open the individual .tiff seps in Photoshop where I could do post edits if I had to.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 4:43 AM   in reply to ScreenPrintingGuy

Have you ever looked at the plug-in Phantasm CS? It can create vector based halftones.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 8:27 AM   in reply to ScreenPrintingGuy

I'd like to know what you ultimately end up using as a solution.  I agree with you that producing halftone screened separations should be part of Adobe's application(s). 

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 10:11 AM   in reply to ScreenPrintingGuy

You're welcome, ScreenPrintingGuy

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers