Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Google bought Nik - will they create a product to compete with Lightroom?

Nov 25, 2012 5:25 AM

Tags: #google #nik #upoints #nx2 #capturenx #snapseed

Google bought Nik - will they create a product to compete with Lightroom?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 25, 2012 6:03 AM   in reply to Rob Cole

Well going on their responses to bugs in the filters I hope not! Support is crap with problems now in Viveza and Color Efex ... last year they took over two months to fix performance problems in Sharpener and Dfine.

The products are top quality, especially Dfine, Viveza, Black & White Efex and Color Efex .... but support is not so good.

Honestly I wish they would fix their stand alone products ... Photoshop filters are OK.

Don.

Ps. Better support from Topaz ...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 7:16 AM   in reply to BKKDon

BKKDon wrote:

Ps. Better support from Topaz ...

Are you kidding?  They released infocus when it didn't work, they still sell it today despite the fact that it doesn't work for the purpose they espouse on their site, and they promised updates "soon" something like a year and a half ago.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 7:29 AM   in reply to Lee Jay

I have to say that I actually have that filter as it is part of the bundle but I would not even consider using it as if your camera can't focus software can't fix it (actually my EOS 5D has focus problems) ... except I saw a demonstration of a CS filter that looked as though it could fix focus problems.

My preferred filters would be Nik - Dfine, Color Efex and Topaz B&W Effects, Lens Effects ... the rest, from all, are not worth the investment.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 7:51 AM   in reply to Lee Jay

Lee Jay wrote:

Are you kidding?  They released infocus when it didn't work, they still sell it today despite the fact that it doesn't work for the purpose they espouse on their site, and they promised updates "soon" something like a year and a half ago.

Not sure what that comment has to do with support, Lee.

The support I've had from Topaz for DeNoise and Detail has been nothing short of exemplary.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 8:09 AM   in reply to Keith_Reeder

Keith_Reeder wrote:

Lee Jay wrote:

Not sure what that comment has to do with support, Lee.

The support I've had from Topaz for DeNoise and Detail has been nothing short of exemplary.

The support part is that they promised a quick update on their forum - several times - and have yet to produce it.  That means their support staff were lying when they said that.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 11:46 AM   in reply to Lee Jay

As far as competition for Lightroom or Photoshop...  In 2006, an engineer from Microsoft showed me a product that was under development there.  Even THEN, it had a number of features that didn't show up in Photoshop until CS4 of even CS5 - things like content aware cloning and such.  With my experience with Adobe, I was STILL hoping for an absolutely devastating competitor 'cause even 6 - 7 years ago Adobe was already becoming problematic for releasing software with problems, buying features from companies where they worked really well and dumbing them down so they could incrementally "improve" them over multiple versions, adding very little SIGNIFICANT new content and still calling it a new release and charging, rather than making it a maintenance release, and, of course, being slow to address significant problems...  I saw and earlier not in here complaining how it took Nik 2 MONTHS to fix some problem...  How long we been waiting for real, significant, corrections to performance issues in LR4?

Which, of course, gets us to the price...  I'm sure there'll be a chorus of folks claiming $600 is very reasonable for Photoshop, but a really killer competitor would be a great thing for correcting some of the (in my opinion) price excesses we see from Adobe.

I don't think it'll happen 'cause the 800 pound gorilla is firmly entrenched, but I don't care if it's Google or MS or whoever.  I'd still love to see SOMEBODY absolutely blow away Photoshop or Lightroom.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 11:51 AM   in reply to DavePinMinn

To me, PS was blown away years ago by PS Elements.  The last version of PS I bought was CS2.  Elements is cheaper, faster and easier to use (still way too hard to use for new users, though).  Lightroom needs to be blown away by Lightroom + 1.  They're on the right track, they just need to finish the job.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 4:54 PM   in reply to Lee Jay

Actually, to get back on track, I don't think google have an interest in building a competing product as they already give Picasa away.

I'm not sure of the future of the Nik filters as there seems to be a focus on Snapseed the ios / Android product.

Don.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 8:35 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

Rob Cole wrote:

One thing I know: I'd hate to see the U-point technology die. I was kinda hoping Adobe would buy Nik...

Yes I like the U-Point technology too ... You may also be right about NX3 as "Nikon has made a capital investment in Nik Software, Inc. ... in 2006" which means that there is now no Nikon involvment in the company as Google "acquired" NIK Software.

Hope it remains as their products are excellent but there has been no communication out of support since 23/10 for a couple of tickets I raised. These performance issues with the stand-alone filters Viveza and Color Efex happened after the release of maintenance upgrades on 13/09.

Unusual for NIK Software as their support is usually very good.

And what confuses the matter with google even more is that they bought Picknik in 2010 and included their filters on Google+ and in Picasa ... and there is Picasa Mobile.

Don.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 9:56 PM   in reply to BKKDon

My fear is that Capture NX2 might be too small of a niche for Google, as they seem to focus on the large numbers game.  What I would [have] love[d] to see is is the next version of Capture become a Lightroom plugin, an additional RAW processing engine that you could access within LR if you choose.

Now if Google would be willing to pull the next version of Capture NX2 within Picasa, I would never use LR again.  I've played around with Picasa.  I don't love its overall organization, but I could learn to like it if its RAW processing engine was an updated version of Capture NX2.  (Updated version would need to include some of the functionality of the other NIK plugins).

I don't have much experience with Google-purchased products.  They bought Zagat a couple of years ago, and I expected to see some changes.  Nothing that I can see.  The online interface is still awful, they still try to charge extra for the App even if you already pay for the website, the restaurant reviews are still the same.  I guess they've branched out into some new (and ridiculous) product surveys, but the core restaurant survey hasn't changed much.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)