Skip navigation
Michalek1478
Currently Being Moderated

Safe and good quality DVD / BR / internet video bitrate

Nov 25, 2012 8:29 AM

Tags: #blu-ray #bitrate #dvd_creation

Hello 

I have a 13 minutes movie (1920 x 1080, 25 fps, progressive) to put on a 4.7 GB DVD (so I have a lot of free space I guess) and my objective is to make it viewable in digital cinema / home dvd / blue ray players and in internet (youtube, vimeo) and therefore to create three types of disc:

• Blue – Ray (1920x1080)
  • DVD PAL (720x576)
  • DVD NTSC (720x480)
  • and a video to upload to interntet

I have 3 questions:

In each I have to decide on maximum video bitrate and I would like to ask what the best quality, but still safe option is for each of them. I am afraid that if I put the maximum Mbps for DVD (9.4 Mbps) and BR (40 Mbps), it will be of excellent quality, but I am not sure whether a standard dvd / blue ray player will manage it without getting overloaded with information, which would at least diminish the smoothness of the image, if not block the device. I just do not know and prefer to ask beforehand.

The same concerns the video for internet, what is the safe bitrate to make it viewable without pauses, if the audience has a broadband?

Could you please give me some tips what the usual professional quality bitrate is for BR and DVD and internet video?

My other question is, if I do a BR project first, can I just somehow transform it to be a DVD, without creating a new project?

Is it possible to deliver the 1920 x 1080 resolution on a DVD disc, without using a BR disc? Will it be playable on DVD / BR players? Or perhaps it is possible even include both projects (HD and SD) on this one DVD and have it still functioning?

Sorry, if the questions are obvious, but I just do not know the answers.

Thanks in advance,

Michal

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 25, 2012 8:33 AM   in reply to Michalek1478

2. My other question is, if I do a BR project first, can I just somehow transform it to be a DVD, without creating a new project?

See this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1102827?tstart=0

3. Is it possible to deliver the 1920 x 1080 resolution on a DVD disc, without using a BR disc? Will it be playable on DVD / BR players? Or perhaps it is possible even include both projects (HD and SD) on this one DVD and have it still functioning?

Create a BD iso. If it is small enough to burn to a DVD, it will play on a Bluray player. But even your 13 minute video will exceed a DVD5 disk at a 48MB rate.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 9:53 AM   in reply to Michalek1478

1a.  The maximum bitrate is fine if you follow three rules.  First, use only high quality blanks.  Falcon Pro are the best, Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim are also very good.  Don't use anything else.  Second, use a good quality burner at the lowest rated speed for the disk.  Sony/NEC (Optiarc) are routinely at the top of the list, but they recently stopped making burners.  Online retailers may still have some in stock, though.  And third, use the proper format.  Some DVD players work best with -R, some work better with +R.  I had one that worked best with +R/W.

1b. There are no hard and fast rules for the Internet, as even 'broadband' capabilities vary.  You're best bet is to probably stick with a YouTube or Vimeo preset on this one.

2. Yes.  Author the Blu-ray, then when you're done change the project to DVD and the format to DVD Image.  Encore will transcode and create the image for you.  Then use either Encore or preferably ImgBurn to burn that image to a blank disk.

3. No.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 11:10 AM   in reply to Michalek1478

So I understand that the answer to the question no. 2: “if I do a BR project first, can I just somehow transform it to be a DVD, without creating a new project?“ is to work with the BR settings, and after that creating the DVD.iso from the same project.

I think you confused my two answers.

My answer to #2 was to point you to a thread that includes Jim response below (a "yes") and some cautions that some users are having trouble doing this without starting over. If you do this, definitely use Jim's method starting with the bluray version.

My answer to #3 is that you can burn a small bluray image to a DVD disk and it will play bluray on a bluray player. You cannot play it on a DVD player. You cannot put both a DVD and BD image on the same disk.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 12:11 PM   in reply to Michalek1478

I guess there is no way either to put the NTSC and PAL version of the dvd on the same disc, I need to make two separate dvd disc, one with NTSC settings and the other with PAL (my footage is 25 fps)?

The recent consensus has been to do NTSC only, since virtually all PAL players will play NTSC. And the reverse is not true.

But all the threads I looked at were dealing with situations where the conversion would be NTSC to PAL. Yours is the opposite, so it may be simple for you to do both.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 8:04 PM   in reply to Michalek1478

I will use a dvd disc and burn a small bluray image onto it, so the audience with bluray players can see it, 

That doesn't work with all Blu-ray players.  You're safest option is to burn a Blu-ray disk if you want HD.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 8:30 PM   in reply to Jim Simon
    You're safest option is to burn a Blu-ray disk if you want HD.

For a production situation, I completely agree.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points