Skip navigation
RiotPunch1
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Elements 8 Project Won't Open. Please Help.

Nov 25, 2012 9:26 AM

Tags: #premiere #elements #open #won't #8 #project

Hello,

I was working on a Premiere Elements 8 project for my video class last night (HDV, 1080i 30p) and the program stopped responding as I was importing a clip. I was prompted to wait for response or close the program. I closed the program and when I tried to re-open my project, the loading dialog box reaches 100% and then does nothing.  I let it sit for over 30 minutes and nothing changed.  When I clicked cancel after 30 minutes, I was prompted with the same "program is not responding" box.  Other projects open fine, but this one simply will not.  After reading through the forums, I disabled McAfee and updated Quicktime, but I am still having the same problem. I have 6 GB of free RAM and I am using footage shot on my DSLR. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated as the project is due this week.

Thanks,

Jake

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 25, 2012 10:09 AM   in reply to RiotPunch1

Are you able to open an older autosave version of the project?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 10:20 AM   in reply to RiotPunch1

I am with John T. here. I would launch PrE, and at the Welcome Screen, choose Open Project (the AutoSaves will NOT be in a list yet), then navigate to where that Project is, on your system. Within that Project's folder, will be a sub-folder, AutoSave. Try to Open the latest one of the five (the default) AutoSave PREL files. Note: AutoSave files are FIFO, and each will be overwritten, over time. That means that file #3 might be newer, than #5. Just check the Date/Time of the files, and go for the newest, working back to the oldest, if you have issues Opening the newest/newer one(s).

It might actually be easiest to first look in that sub-folder in say Windows Explorer (or Finder on a Mac), and make note of the Date/Time for each.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 10:55 AM   in reply to RiotPunch1

OK, there is possibly a problem with one (or more) Assets.

This next step might be easy, or not, depending on how you have your Assets arranged on your computer.

The easiest is if one has the Assets, or Copies of them, in sub-folders below the Project's hierarchy. See this article for an example: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4028199#4028199

I would Move the Assets from their location, so that PrE cannot initially find them, and attempt to load their links. Then, launch PrE, and Open that Project (since the AutoSaves do not work better, just go with the original Project here). You should get the dialog, "Where is file ____ ?" See this article for more details and tips: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4598705#4598705.

If one has many types of Assets, such as Still Images, AVI's, MOV's, etc., it would be easier if one Moved each Asset type to a new, and separate sub-folder, for this next step.

At "Where is file ____ ?" navigate to where you Moved that requested file. See if it loads. Per the above article, you will see that PrE will then survey that folder, the one that you just navigated to, and try to load each missing Asset IN that folder, and re-link to them. If all goes well, then you should get that same dialog messege for the next Asset type. Repeat. Do this until you get the hang on an Asset. At that point, DO NOT Save the Project. Instead, Save_As and increment the name. That is IMPORTANT.

Then, Move that faulting Asset elsewhere, and test Opening the Save_As Project. If all works fine, then you know that there is a problem with THAT Asset. You should study it carefully, to see what the problem is. If it plays fine elsewhere, and is not different, than other good Assets, then try Importing it again, into that Save_As Project.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points