Skip navigation
badlucktechgirl
Currently Being Moderated

"This serial number is not valid for this product" at installation

Nov 25, 2012 9:53 AM

Downloaded Photoshop Elements 11. Entered (double-checked and even re-entered to no avail) serial number and got this message. Did the "chat" with Adobe and they couldn't help, told me to call Adobe tech Monday.

I DID buy the program from Costco and it's a "special edition" but don't know why that should matter. The serial number is in the same place as the programs you buy anywhere else. Maybe it's not matching on the Adobe site for some reason?  Any help much appreciated. 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 25, 2012 10:02 AM   in reply to badlucktechgirl

Hi badlucktechgirl,

I am really afraid that we guys can't help you with serial number, only Adobe support team can. You will have to call them on Monday.

But yes serial number is 24-digit code. See if yours one.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 10:59 AM   in reply to badlucktechgirl

If you bought PSE11 from CostCo and it is a special-edition, then perhaps you need to install it from the media that came with the CostCo box and not a direct Adobe download.  I would guess Adobe has different sets of serial numbers for different “editions” and a regular download isn’t the same as a special-edition.  Or do you mean that the special edition is something you can download, too?  I don’t shop at CostCo to guess exactly what you purchased.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 11:57 AM   in reply to badlucktechgirl

Oh, then your problem is not to do with installing. It's to do with trying to transfer an installed version. That NEVER works, and I'm guessing you probably also transferred over the settings and such from your user account on the old computer? You will need to download and run this:

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

and then do a manual removal of any bits you can find to clean up the existing mess before you try a new install. Be sure to check hard drive>library>application support>adobe in addition to the actual application folder.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 11:59 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

Also, instead of trying to transfer the program, copy the installer to the desktop and transfer that over to the Air.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 1:12 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

In other words, copy the contents of the disc to your old Mac, then transfer those contents to the new Mac and install from there.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 26, 2012 9:55 AM   in reply to badlucktechgirl

Glad you got things working and thanks for sharing which will help others.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points