Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Pro still losing renders (of dynamic linked AE projects)

Nov 25, 2012 10:16 AM

This has been on ongoing problem with PrP since I started using it in CS5 on both the Mac & PC platforms.. Its a shame it hasnt been fixed yet. Its a large source of frustration and embarrassment.

I created a dynamically linked clip in PrP and after finishing the AE comp I saved  in both AE then PrP it last night. I come in this morning and the render is gone. I go to the preview files folder and there they are.

I feel confindent this is a software issue. My system has been optizmized by ADK for performance with CS6. This is intermitent but occurs with some regularity.

Ive made many bug reports in the past with no response so unless I am personally contacted Im not going to waste my time. As a beta tester I got a sense of how issues are dealt with so I have no unrealstic expectations about this one since its been around for a while.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 25, 2012 10:35 AM   in reply to lasvideo

Personally I haven't heard anything about losing Dynamic Links on CS5.

As far as I know, people started losing them on CS5.5, and in 99% issues were related to incremental naming, whereas just about 1% - related to Media Cache errors, general system failure etc...

If you're currently facing the latter, just try cleaning up Media Cache Database.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 10:45 AM   in reply to lasvideo

I haven't yet seen a definitive cause for this, and hence no definitive solution.  It seems to just happen sometimes for some folks, but not for the majority.  That can make tracking down the issue quite difficult.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 10:52 AM   in reply to lasvideo

Although your ongoing issue may not relate to incremental naming, the latter also causes losing rendered previews.

After cleaning up the Media Cache Database via Preferences within either AE or PrPro do not hesitate to delete remains in both Media Cache and Media Cache Files folders manually.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 9:50 PM   in reply to lasvideo

I gave up on the dynamic link thing pretty quick.  Cool concept but definitely not ready for prime time.  I just do the old render and import.  Then, if I have to change something in AE, I overwrite the previously rendered file with the new one.  That way it is immediately updated in PP. 

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 5:18 AM   in reply to lasvideo

When I try to reproduce and then fix an issue with ADL, which is not related to incremental naming, I normally clean up all MPEG and XMP files in a project Preview Files folder as well. Time spent on rerendering preview is usually much less than the one spent on reconforming after clearing up Media Cache Database.

And I'm not sure I follow your first sentence: when I clean up Media Cache, I normally do it when a project has already been saved. And after that I close PrPro, delete the remains manually, restart PrPro and let it reconform all media files once again. After that I rerender a preview.

If I remember correctly in some severe cases users had to deactivate and then reactivate PrPro along with clearing up Media Cache.

P.S. Actually any bug can make a user feel frustrated. Some people get irritated by CS6 spanned AVCHD clips issue, some other ones - by PrPro reaction on pressing Stop button within Multicam Monitor. World is not perfect...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 7:14 AM   in reply to lasvideo

I see this behavior as well, sometimes just switching back and forth between the two pieces of software it will lose track of render files. It sucks to open a project a couple hours later and the dynamic link renders are gone, they are so incredibly slow to render as it is, I don't want to lose them.

I'm still on 5.5 and was expecting huge performance gains with dynamic linking when going to CS6, but from what I'm seeing here on the board I'm guessing that's not the case.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 7:50 AM   in reply to lasvideo

Well, the nature of the Universe doesn't depend on whether you are interested in hearing an observation or not. It just exists in the way it exists.

However, if you keep losing Dynamic Links after clearing up and rebuilding Media Cache Database, including clearing up Preview Files folder, and is still keen on resolving the issue, provide some more details on your PrPro project and linked AE one(s):

- what type of media files are used in the problem project?

- what is the order of building dynamic links for that project?

- what are the names of dynamically linked project(s) and comps?

- does the behaviour depend on which effects are used in dynamically linked comps?

etc. etc.

Meanwhile, although I didn't lose any Dynamic Link so far on my own projects and was able to reproduce and fix almost any voiced on the Forum issues with ADL, I can't be of 100% help since I'm still on CS5.5.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 8:14 AM   in reply to lasvideo

Well, with such sort of input data it's hardly possible to reproduce and accordingly fix your particular issue.

By the way, if you're communicating with the Universe by phone, it was a hoax I'm afraid, since we are on Skype for several years now.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 8:57 AM   in reply to Fuzzy Barsik

it's hardly possible to reproduce and accordingly fix your particular issue.

Gee, where have I head that before?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 9:02 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

You miss the first part of the sentence in the quote.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 9:05 AM   in reply to Fuzzy Barsik

No I saw it.  The first part is not relevant.  There has yet to appear in these forums a definitive cause for this phenomenon.  People will sometimes lose renders, without relation to platform, media, Dynamic Link, etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 9:12 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

I would appreciate if you could point me out to those threads on the Forum, in which ADL issues were described in the same way as happening out of the blue with no pattern at all. I probably miss them.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 9:15 AM   in reply to Fuzzy Barsik

My point is that this isn't a DL issue.  It's a "missing preview" issue, which so far seems to have no rhyme or reason.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points