Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Move/Nudge 0.5px in Illustrator CS6?

Nov 25, 2012 4:42 PM

Tags: #help #move #pixel #nudge #illustrator_cs6 #0.5_pixel #move_pixel

Hello:                                                                                                                    Level:  Newbie'ish  OS: Win7  Illy:Cs6

I would like to be able to move an object over just a tad which I believe would be a half of a pixel.

Does anyone know how I could go about doing so or is it not possible?

Thank you for your time

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 25, 2012 5:07 PM   in reply to Kar209

Just set the keyboard increment in the Preferences (Cmd(Ctrl)-K) to what ever you want. The default is one point (1/72 of an inch).

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 26, 2012 4:37 PM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

I tried setting Keyboard Increments to .25 and .5 pixels and objects still can only move in 1 pixel increments.  In the View menu I have Snap to Grid, Snap to Point, and Smart Guides unchecked.  Also tried setting in inches and points.  Won't nudge less than 1 pt.  Is there some other hidden setting I missed?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 26, 2012 5:14 PM   in reply to raylaur

Set the increments to .01px and click ok. (see image below)  It will move very little but it will get you to exact.  Holding the shift key will only get you  .1px.

Be sure to type the px after the .01.

Untitled3.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 26, 2012 9:31 PM   in reply to raylaur

Align to Pixel Grid in the Transform panel. It is on by default for all Web new document profiles. Turn it off but you will still need to select all and turn it off for all the objects you have created already.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2012 6:03 AM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

Thanks. Turning it off only worked if I created a new object.  But after selecting all objects and unchecking Align to Pixel Grid the objects still only nudge 1 pixel.  When objects are created with Align to Pixel Grid on is it supposed to be permanent?  Doesn't seem right.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2012 6:09 AM   in reply to Donsind

Sorry. That didn't work.  Larry Schneider's tip below was a partial fix but it only worked for new objects after Align to Pixel Grid was turned off.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2012 2:53 PM   in reply to raylaur

You actually have to turn it off in two places, both in the panel adn also in the panel flyout.

Screen Shot 2012-12-27 at 2.51.27 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2012 4:45 PM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

Thanks, very much. The devil was hiding in the optional details which by default was turned off in the panel.  One comlaint I have about Illustrator is how some settings and controls are not always logically grouped in one place or it takes too many clicks in different (unintuitive)  places to do simple things.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points