• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Move/Nudge 0.5px in Illustrator CS6?

Engaged ,
Nov 25, 2012 Nov 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello:                                                                                                                   Level:  Newbie'ish  OS: Win7  Illy:Cs6

I would like to be able to move an object over just a tad which I believe would be a half of a pixel.

Does anyone know how I could go about doing so or is it not possible?

Thank you for your time

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 25, 2012 Nov 25, 2012

Just set the keyboard increment in the Preferences (Cmd(Ctrl)-K) to what ever you want. The default is one point (1/72 of an inch).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just set the keyboard increment in the Preferences (Cmd(Ctrl)-K) to what ever you want. The default is one point (1/72 of an inch).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!! That worked perfectly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 26, 2012 Dec 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried setting Keyboard Increments to .25 and .5 pixels and objects still can only move in 1 pixel increments.  In the View menu I have Snap to Grid, Snap to Point, and Smart Guides unchecked.  Also tried setting in inches and points.  Won't nudge less than 1 pt.  Is there some other hidden setting I missed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set the increments to .01px and click ok. (see image below)  It will move very little but it will get you to exact.  Holding the shift key will only get you  .1px.

Be sure to type the px after the .01.

Untitled3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 27, 2012 Dec 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. That didn't work.  Larry Schneider's tip below was a partial fix but it only worked for new objects after Align to Pixel Grid was turned off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You actually have to turn it off in two places, both in the panel adn also in the panel flyout.

Screen Shot 2012-12-27 at 2.51.27 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 28, 2012 Dec 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, very much. The devil was hiding in the optional details which by default was turned off in the panel.  One comlaint I have about Illustrator is how some settings and controls are not always logically grouped in one place or it takes too many clicks in different (unintuitive)  places to do simple things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Align to Pixel Grid in the Transform panel. It is on by default for all Web new document profiles. Turn it off but you will still need to select all and turn it off for all the objects you have created already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Turning it off only worked if I created a new object.  But after selecting all objects and unchecking Align to Pixel Grid the objects still only nudge 1 pixel.  When objects are created with Align to Pixel Grid on is it supposed to be permanent?  Doesn't seem right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you are a wizard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would be great if we had a modifier key for this instead of having to edit a global setting. Just like the shift key does 10x increments, maybe cmd+shift could do 1/10 increments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do something like that with the fields in the Control Panel.

Highlight a field, hold down the Cmd key (or Ctrl on Windows) use the Up or Down Arrow keys and you go with 1/10th increments

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip, Ton.

This is an OK workaround, but this approach is far from ideal. For one, I have to click twice before I can start nudging (click object, click control-panel field); second, I'm forced to think "am I trying to nudge along the X or Y axis?"; and third, adjusting the X axis using up and down keys isn't natural: I want to use left and right keys rather than up and down.

Still, I didn't know this function existed, so thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know, I would have hoped that it also worked with nudging the objects directly.

Still, I use it a lot, it works in a lot of numeric fields (also in Appearance effects).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2023 Apr 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It used to be. Why does adobe always have to make its products less logical and more convoluted? In the past, you could press the cmd/ctrl button and it would decrease even the minimal set input. Now I can't even change to below 1 pt. Nothing anyone responded here helps and I have been looking for more than half an hour to no avail. Why? Because Adobe decides to change something that was perfectly fine to something that sucks more than even the most basic vector program. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2023 Apr 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In the past, you could press the cmd/ctrl button and it would decrease even the minimal set input.

By @Ozce25283530k5w0

That is in InDesign.

You could not do that in Illustrator (I have just tried in version CS5)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines