Skip navigation
yaldahammer
Currently Being Moderated

marking audio beat ?

Nov 25, 2012 8:37 PM

I would like to place a LOT of markers in a project so I can add video & still photos to the beat of a song.

I tried doing this by placing markers while viewing the waveform in the Source Monitor. And that stops the playback every time. Pretty much useless. That should at least be a setting we can choose.

I also placed a LOT of markers with comments in the timeline itself. But first I slowed down the playback to about 65% so I could put the markers where I wanted without a lot of scrubbing back and forth. But when I restored the speed back to 100% the markers were very skewed and way out of position. Thus rendering the entire effort almost totally useless.

Comeon Adobe - you GOT to be able to make these sort of things work or customers will have no need to purchase your expensive software. I thought CS6 was supposed to be the creme de le creme, but honestly if I had purchased the $49/month Cloud subscription I would have by now switched to one of the newer Sony Vegas + Hitfilm packages. And to be honest, I am now seriously considering selling this CS6 Production Premium at a loss so I can use the money to switch to the Vegas Pro 12/Hitfilm Suite. I bought CS6 because of the wealth of tools we get - primarily Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop, Prelude and Audition. Prelude is laughably limited in scope & user friendliness. And Premiere Pro is beginning to look that way too. If you can provide some workable solutions to this and similar problems then it might be worth keeping.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 25, 2012 8:56 PM   in reply to yaldahammer

Playback should not stop when you place a marker.  It doesn't for me using either the Add Marker button in the Source Monitor or the M shortcut on the keyboard.  This applies to both Source and Program Monitors as well as the sequence.

Sequence markers will not move as the clips are adjusted, so slowing the footage down first was not the right tactic here.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 10:53 PM   in reply to yaldahammer

Assumeably you  are wishng to mark the beats in the audio track ...prior to dropping shots onto the marks.

Put your audio track in the timeline and then mark the beats there..

No point in doing that in the source monitor.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 11:25 PM   in reply to yaldahammer

Personally..I would mark the beats at normal speed. Its an eye ear thing.

But in saying that..I would mark them and  make an adjustment to the mark or hte edit ..also based on "eye ear".

I would never expect to nail a beat first hit and the video  / audio edit may even work a shade better with a fraction either side of the actual beat.

eye / ear co ordination is not necessarily a precise thing.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 4:35 AM   in reply to shooternz

I agree with shooternz.  You can get a good rhythm going in real time. 

Also, I tend to blade the track rather than just mark the beats.  That way I can finesse the cuts as needed and then automatically drop b-roll or change camera angles or whatever without having to re-mark the I/O

Here's a link to a discussion about "Shift + /" to mark clips  (ironically started by shooternz!)

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4760913#4760913

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 7:26 AM   in reply to shooternz

Craig,

In the Timeline Panel, does the * key (Numeric Keypad) not work in CS 6?

I find that handy for "tapping" out the location of the Markers on the Timeline. Once done, one can tweak their positions, if necessary. With close listening and tapping, I usually hit my position almost perfectly, especially if there are strong "beats."

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 8:25 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

In CS6 the shortcuts have all been changed. M adds a sequence marker in the the timeline.

Sent from my iPhone

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 8:51 AM   in reply to yaldahammer

I did not know any other way to slow down the audio to allow me to place the markers accurately

You don't do 'accurate' in real time.  You do 'approximate' with it playing in real time, then you go back and tweak it precisely.

But it still shouldn't be stopping when you place a marker. CS6 was specifically designed not to.  If yours is, something is wrong.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 11:03 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Jeff,

Thank you for that update.

Appreciated,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 1:45 PM   in reply to yaldahammer

The OS shouldn't be relevant.  CS6 is designed to not stop playback.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 11:56 AM   in reply to yaldahammer

I checked yesterday for you because I was unsure what setting a Marker did to playback in the Source Monitor.

...the playback continues just as it does in Program Monitor and Timeline..

CS6.xx. Win 7 64bit

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 8:34 AM   in reply to yaldahammer

when I unlink the video track from the audio track & drag only the audio track into Source Monitor

Why on earth would you do it like that?  (It does stop for me, too.  But that's just such an odd way to work...)

Proper audio files do not stop.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2012 10:06 PM   in reply to yaldahammer

That makes sense.  But had you gone from Bin to Source Monitor, added markers there, then add the clip to the sequence, then remove the video, all would have been well.

And that's a pretty typical flow, the clip goes from Bin to Source Monitor to Sequence.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points