Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Opening RAW images more than once

Nov 25, 2012 7:54 PM

Tags: #elements_10 #photoshop_elements_9 #raw_file #photoshop_elements_11

I have run into an inconsistency between how Elements works on different computers.  Even when students are using the same version, this is what I have encountered.

I want to create 3 versions of the same RAW file in order to vary the exposure and then use Photomerge Exposure to blend the images.  I can open the first version and then go to Open Recent and open the same RAW file again.  I then reset the default and make a different adjustment and open that image in Elements.  a number "2" is automatically added to the filename.  When I do another Open Recent and process that version, that image opens in Elements with a number "3" added to the filename.

Many students in my class can't do this unless they save the first version with a new filename.

Why might this occur?

Mary Lou

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 25, 2012 11:54 PM   in reply to Mary Lou Frost

The edits you are doing with ACR are saved in an xmp sidecar file. They are also saved in an additional file to be used if you want to use the 'previous conversion' option. You can open a raw file in the editor without saving edits in the xmp file = Alt Open instead of Open. I suppose all your students have the save in version sets enabled ?

My question is :

When you save the picture from the editor (in psd, tiff, jpeg...) the first save automatically creates by default a suffix -edited-1.jpg

If you reopen the raw file, edit in the editor, that suffix will be automaticall incremented to -edited-2.jpg and so on.

So, what is different for the students who have to save the first version with a new filename ? What is the default file name suggested by the editor when they want to save the first version ?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 7:13 AM   in reply to Mary Lou Frost

Mary Lou Frost wrote:

I think my description wasn't complete.  We are not working with the Organizer.  Everyone is opening the RAW file directly from the Editor:   File/Open.

Mary Lou

Yes, you are working directly in the editor, but when you are using 'save as' (I assume you are on Windows ?) are the checkboxes for 'Save in the Organizer' and 'Save in version sets' checked for all students ?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 2:33 AM   in reply to Mary Lou Frost

I can't say anything about Macs but I presume you would have noticed if the difference was due to the difference of OS...

When you have the 'include in Organizer' unchecked, you do your first edits in the ACR dialog and click 'Open' to get the conversion into the editor. The image title shows the file name of the raw file, but you are working on a psd format file which has not yet been saved to disk. It's only in ram memory with the default filename ready to be used if you click 'save' : that default filename is the same as the original raw name but simply with the .psd extension. You can change the default file name before clicking 'save' or 'save as' or you can accept it. Now, you can either go back to editing or close the raw file and re-open it. There is no difference. After your second edits, if you try 'save' you will be prompted the same default psd file name. But then the file name has already been attributed and you will get a warning message to change the name or overwrite the file.

If you try to use the 'include in Organizer', you'll see the difference : you won't be prompted to overwrite but a new suffix with -1 or -2... will be prompted automatically and the files will be added to a version set, which is the best way to keep the link between the original raw and the various 'versions' of edits.

By the way, that's one of the big advantages of the Organizer when you shoot raw : ability to see thumbnails of your raw files to rate and tag, ability to use all edit features of ACR and clicking 'Done' without creating intermediate psd or jpegs, only small xmp files saved automatically and used by the Organizer to show the files or print them... Plus if you are tagging and rating  your raw files, that information is kept in every version in the version set.

You never worry about the xmp files when moving, deleting or renaming files from the catalog manager -- You never worry about them for backups.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points