Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Dreamweaver Help | Changes to Insert options | Creative Cloud

Nov 26, 2012 4:11 AM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 26, 2012 4:11 AM   in reply to Community Help

It says:

Deprecate Insert options that required multiple-clicks. These options can be quickly and easily configured using the Property Inspector or the Code view.

But I can't find a way to quicly, semi-automatic add labels to textfields (or any other form field).

I can't see any use of this descision. TGhe only reason to use Dreamweaver intead of any other good text editor like sublime text 2 or notepad++ etc, is it's ui-based possibility to click, drag & drop etc. If this possibility is removed, like with the input tag accesibility attributes, I don't see any added value to the expensive dreamweaver.

Beginners, who mostly profit from the graphical interface, are left out, I teach Dreamweaver but this is sad news.

Please! For several years DW has not seen a lot of improvements in many ways (but still is good) and now you start taking usefull features away. I can't see the point. Please explain and please bring back the possibility to add a label to an existing formfield or at least create the "for" connection via choosing.

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 26, 2012 7:00 AM   in reply to zu

I understand your frustration.

But, if you do notice, most, rather all options that are gone in 12.1 release to Creative Cloud are the ones that are deprecated as part of evolving HTML standards anyway.

In my opinion, it is time that Adobe removes these options that are redundant as part of 'Modern web' standards to be able to spend more time on adding more features that are in demand with the current web standards. Don't you think so?!

Well, if you still feel you need some or all the options back, please file a feature request here: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

-ST

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 11:39 PM   in reply to Sudarshan Thiagarajan

I appreciate your quick and friendly answer. As far as I know, the label element was never in discussion of becoming depreciated and therefor I need to file a feature request or bug report. Yes it's ok and even great that Dreamweaver supports the newest not yet standards of HTML5 and CSS3 (where it does it) and it's great giving aid for responsive design and wep apps through PhoneGap, but nevertheless it should at least be as simple to enter a label for a form element and choose the corresponding element via some "link to element" (like for links) or choosing from a dropdown (like for classes) or have a field with autocompletion... but the dialog seems to have been deleted without replacement (and without a reason, at least not one I could understand).

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 9:05 AM   in reply to zu

There are lots of bugs in this update and the removal of the ability to drag bindings to the code window really hurts the workflow. Removing spry options from the forms panel also creates a huge slowdown in the work of creating forms.

There's also a bug on the mac side that causes the files panel to respond to the delete key when you're in the code or design view. 90% of the time when I try and delete some code or content from the Code or Design panel I get a warning about deleting files and find that the Files panel is selected. The only work around is to remove the Files panel from the desktop.

The Properties panel has also lost the ability to dynamically link to record sets when working in PHP. Hand coding is the only option. Again, this 'improvement' reduces productivity.

In general, the new Forms panel and resulting popups for info is a huge step backward. When prepping forms for PHP or other server side programming the options are gone. You can't select a button anymore, you have to select a submit or a reset... All a bunch of monkey motion that's inefficient. Even the Forms button doesn't properly insert a form around selected text. You just as well code forms by hand because you have to go into code view and fix everything anyway.

The only thing that 'may' help out is the addition of some HTML5 options, but to tell you the truth, I haven't had time to try any of them yet because I uninstalled this update and went back to the previous version so that I could get some work done.

I'm not a happy camper.....

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 11:10 AM   in reply to zu

I have the Creative Cloud update and labels are still available from the Insert Panel > Forms.  See screenshot.

InsertForm.jpg

With the exception of php include statements, the majority of stuff that was removed from this update is stuff I never used anyway. So no great tragedy.   I found I could easily create snippets or customize my Favorites tab in the Insert panel for things I frequently use. 

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 11:16 AM   in reply to Rick Gerard

Rick Gerard wrote:

Removing spry options from the forms panel also creates a huge slowdown in the work of creating forms.

The removal of anything spry is because Adobe stopped supporting it as it is being replaced by jQuery and the lot.  Spry, although useful when it first was introduced, doesn't hold a candle to jQuery and other libraries with all of their available plugins.  Fewer and fewer sites are using Spry, it's the direction things are going.

^_^

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 12:25 PM   in reply to WolfShade

To add a bit to what WolfShade said, Adobe neglected the Spry framework for years before announcing in August it was being discontinued.

http://blogs.adobe.com/dreamweaver/2012/08/update-on-adobe-spry-framew ork-availability.html

Although one can validate forms with client-side scripts, server-side validation is better because it's not dependant on users/devices having JS enabled.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 1:35 PM   in reply to WolfShade

Spry isn't as big a deal as not being able to quickly do any of this from the Properties Panel:

problems.jpg

I might have mis labled one or two but any modification or editing of these properties now requires going into the code and doing things by hand or by going into the code and then to an Insert Panel and using the clunky Insert button at the bottom of the list. 

Looks like DreamWeaver is becoming more of a tool for designers than developers. I'm even finding editing CSS much slower with these new 'features.'

The biggest problem that I'm seeing is that more than 90% of the time, when I'm editing code, if I press the delete button the Files panel becomes active and Dreamweaver tries to delete a file or a folder. 

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 3:35 PM   in reply to Rick Gerard

if I press the delete button the Files panel becomes active and Dreamweaver tries to delete a file or a folder. 

This must be a Mac thing because I don't have that problem on Win. 

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 2:14 AM   in reply to Nancy O.

yes, it's possible to insert a label still, but before you could enter a field and the associated label was entered automatically either wit a "for id" or surrounding the form element.

this was nice.

I don't miss SPRY for validation either, since it wasn't up to date, couln't handle email fields (or other HTML5 elements) properly.

Solooking forward for a integrated jQuery solution ;-)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 2:00 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

The delete problem is really acting up today. I had some code errors that killed code hintng and caused a lot of delete errors. I also had a ton of java scripte erros trying to add a PHP update record. I discovered that you have to have a form element selected to use the Update Record behavior. If you're not in the form and in a form element then you get a java script error and DW cannot proceed. It took an hour of looking through the code to try and figure out why this wan't working any more when I accidentally discovered that if my cursor was inside any form element I could successfully use the Update record behavior.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2012 6:05 AM   in reply to Community Help

I want Image PlaceHolder back for cs6 Cloud version.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2012 10:42 AM   in reply to Roy Ward Jr.

I want Image PlaceHolder back for cs6 Cloud version.

Don't hold your breath for the return of this unnecessary feature.

Simply insert an image. 

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 24, 2012 4:52 PM   in reply to Community Help

Never mind all that, why the hell have I paid over £2500 for a piece of software that doesn't even have the html5 options on the insert menu, oh no, I have to pay over £17 a month for that. What the hell are doing Adobe your getting more like microsoft everyday, we paid for the dam software now give us the features it should have instead of playing your money machine games with us all

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 12:53 AM   in reply to Community Help

Yes it's ok and even great that Dreamweaver supports the newest not yet standards of HTML5 and CSS3. Design panel I get a warning about deleting files and find that the Files panel is selected.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 6:26 AM   in reply to Mpeg_Frenzie

Hi Mpeg_Frenize

Which options are you looking out for? I know for sure that the team has been working relentlessly on conforming to the latest HTML standards. I can be a more efficient messenger if you provide me with details.

Thanks,

Preran

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 7:42 AM   in reply to Community Help

Hi,

I can't find "Layout" option on the insert menu. I want to add "Draw AP Div". Please help. Thanks.

Screen Shot 2013-07-15 at 10.37.32 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 7:44 AM   in reply to BongkotRonghanam

I have DW CC

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 7:53 AM   in reply to BongkotRonghanam

Hi BongkotRonghanam,

Layout has been renamed to Structure. The particular feature you are looking has been deprecated .

Please refer http://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/using/the-new-modernized-dreamweave r-cc.html#main-pars_header_11

Thanks

Bhawna

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 8:05 AM   in reply to bgupta16

Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2013 6:05 AM   in reply to Community Help

Hi Am Web Site http://www.ozsimseklerbirnakliyat.com/ Why dreamweaver desing ?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2013 9:41 AM   in reply to Öz Şimşekler Nakliyat

@Öz Şimşekler Nakliyat

Can you further define the question you are asking so we can better assist you?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2013 12:46 PM   in reply to Community Help

Hello, i'm recently working with the new Dreamweaver CC 13.0 and I cant see the (Insert > Data) menu anywhere as I've seen it here http://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/using/the-new-modernized-dreamweave r-cc.html , I've already installed the Deprecated_ServerBehaviorsPanel_Support from the Disabled Features folder, but I dont know what else to do. Does anyone know if it has been renamed or something?

Thank you

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2013 12:57 PM   in reply to WPBFUser00

Hi WPBFUser00,

This query has been answered in another discussion http://forums.adobe.com/message/5471732#5471732

Thanks,

Preran

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2013 1:12 PM   in reply to Preran

Hello Preran,

First of all thanks for the quick answer, I've already followed that threat and I could bring back the Database, Server Behaviors and the Binding's option, but there's still no Data option in my Insert tab.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points