Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Page colour

Nov 26, 2012 5:55 AM

Hello all, Ihave just completed my first page in dreamweaver and as the tutorial said it really was WYSIWYG worked first time. The only thing I can't figure out is how to add colour or an image to the right and left of my page on the net. I have used 1 cloumn fixd centered.

Regards

Kevin

Replies
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Nov 26, 2012 6:46 AM   in reply to fincaman2

Kevin, can we see your code?

I understand you've mentioned you've created your 'first page' in DW. But, are you using CSS to style your webpage? Based on this, we can advice on how you can achieve what your original question states.

-ST

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 26, 2012 10:06 AM   in reply to fincaman2

Hi Kevin,

did you "play" already with (translated from my German DW) insert > image  (or STRG+ALT+I) AND/OR with the background color of your "page properties"?

And in addition to Sudarshan Thiagarajan's hint, I think so too you should load up your pages to your server, no matter how they look like. And this means that you had to work out a precise logical concept.

Hans-Günter

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Nov 26, 2012 10:30 AM   in reply to fincaman2

Kevin, Glad you've found a way to do that.

If you need any further assistance with CSS, do not hesitate to post back.

Happy to help

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 11:50 AM   in reply to fincaman2

That's not a good thing.

Did you refresh your browser cache?

Are you using free hosting?

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Nov 26, 2012 11:51 AM   in reply to fincaman2

You don't have to delete and re-upload. You can choose to overwrite.

But if it takes 3hours or 3days I'd suspect it is to do with your browser cookies. Try clearing your browser cache and reload the page.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 11:56 AM   in reply to fincaman2

Hi Kevin,

in addition  I would like put in my two cents too:

In all these cases I'm not a friend of a detailed troubleshooting. It is one of the reasons why I prefer an external FTP program. The difficulties with which you have to fight encourage me in this opinion, not least because we always search for experts, we don't charge a "jack of all trades".

For this reason, to manage, for example, several websites or to upload my files and sometimes for the opposite way, for a necessary download from my server or to use a "a site-wide synch", I'm using FileZilla. It simply looks easier for me to keep track of all operations precisely and generate or reflect easily the desired tree structure. AND I never had a problem with cache or overwriting.

Above all, FileZilla has a feature (translation from my German FileZilla) called "compare file list". Here it's possible to use file size or modification time as a criterion. There is also the possibility to "hide identical files", so that only these files which you want to redact remain visible.

And even if it means you have to install a new program, I am convinced that there is an advantage. Here is the link to get it and where you can read informations about how it works:

http://filezilla-project.org/ and http://wiki.filezilla-project.org/Tutorial#Using_the_site_manager

Mac: Mac OS X
    http://filezilla-project.org/download.php

Of course, you also need all the access data to reach your server.

Good luck!
    Hans-Günter

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 12:54 PM   in reply to fincaman2

Kevin,

You are probably seeing a cached version of the site that was stored in your browser's memory.   Use Ctrl+R or Ctrl+F5 to refresh your browser.

Also try using a different browser (Firefox, Chrome, Safari or Opera) that doesn't have cached versions of your site.

Failing that, contact your host & ask them why it takes so long to see updates on your site.  They may be doing something at their end.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 2:45 PM   in reply to fincaman2

Providers are rarely helpful.  Their job is to provide you with hosting. That's all they do.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Nov 26, 2012 7:34 PM   in reply to fincaman2

Kevin, who is your web hosting provider? Little different to what Nancy said, small-size web hosting providers can be more reliable and offer more support that the giants like GoMommy and so on..

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points