Skip navigation
paul-UPI
Currently Being Moderated

Illustrator CS6 - opens in window too small

Nov 26, 2012 8:41 AM

Tags: #illustrator #error #launch #pc #cs6 #windows7

Anytime I double-click on an Illustrator file to open it, the Illustrator CS6 window opens up too small to view the file. It comes up with an error message that says "Can't open the illustration. There is not enough room for the window; increase document area and try again."

Illustrator-CS6_error_window-small-default.PNG

If I then click on the box to expand the Illustrator window to full-size, then I can open the file. It's just frustrating that everytime I try to open an AI file by double-clicking on it, I get this error message.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 26, 2012 9:09 AM   in reply to paul-UPI

Turn off the Application Frame from the Window menu if you can.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 9:57 AM   in reply to paul-UPI

The OS in your first post wopuld have been helpful. The Application Frame cannot be turned off in Windows.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 12:51 PM   in reply to paul-UPI

You might try resetting the Preferences. Hold down Ctrl-Alt-Shift on restarting the application. You should get a dialog asking if you want to reset the preferences; say yes.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 9:40 AM   in reply to paul-UPI

I am having the same problem, also Windows 7, and this solution did not fix the problem. I've had this version for three months now and it only just started doing this. Unfortunately I didn't note when it started to check if it had to do with an update or something.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 9:47 AM   in reply to paul-UPI

This bug causes the most hassle with email attachments that are not saved anywhere yet. However, when I go File > Open Recent Files, the file is listed, even with email attachments. When I double click on the file from there it opens.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2013 11:20 AM   in reply to ajtrevi

A little late to the party, but I've found this error only happens if the Illustrator window is maximized. If your window is not maximized, you should be able to double-click an .ai file and won't get the error. Still, it's a bug that should be addressed.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2013 8:36 AM   in reply to bfujimoto

I am also having this problem in Windows 7.  I tried the fix (unchecking "open in tabs"), but that did not work.  Anytime I try to open Illustrator CS6, it opens in a tiny window.  Really annoying to have to max it every single time I open it.  This is whether or not I click on a file to open it or click on my desktop shortcut to open it.  Surely after a year, Adobe has released a fix to this problem.  Anybody know where I can find it? 

I'm also getting constant messages when I save saying Illustrator is not responding.  Over and over...  I know this isn't the spot for that, but my CS6 seems to be very buggy.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2013 8:43 AM   in reply to Graphic Squirrel

Try and let me know if this helps, right click on your desktop shortcut and choose Properties. In the Shortcut tab choose Maximized from the menu next to Run.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2013 8:52 AM   in reply to emil emil

You are a genius!  Thank you so much, it worked like a charm. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points