Skip navigation
IvorBanham
Currently Being Moderated

How to create a blue gradient for the sky

Nov 26, 2012 9:21 AM

I would like to create a blue gradient for a washed/blown out sky in one of my clips. I did some quick searches and came up with this relating to CS3. But a) it seems way too complicated for such a simple effect (well it's simple in Final Cut) and b) when I tried it, it just didn't work.

http://podcasts.digitalmediaonlineinc.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id= 283976&afterinter=true

So can anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial on keying a coloured gradient over a clip?

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 26, 2012 11:21 AM   in reply to IvorBanham

You can draw a gradient shape in the Titler, superimpose and use one of the blending modes.

For feather drop a Fast Blur on the Gradient in the timeline.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 26, 2012 1:39 PM   in reply to IvorBanham

Another way to deal with this is to use a 16 point garbage matte and a picture of a blue sky with some wispy clouds. Since the garbage matte can be animated, it is OK if there is some movement.

If there is way too much movement to deal with mattes or gradients, it might be appropriate to use a color replacement.

This is a complete over exageration, but this is the result of a simple "Change to Color" effect. The settings for this are shown below. I simply used the eyedropper to pick a part of the sky and then selected a nice blue to change it to. As I said, I overdid it on purpose so that it would show up better. I could have used the eyedropper to select a part of a real sky that happened to be close to what I wanted. I put the clip on track one and a copy on track two. I cropped the upper track to provide a split screen. I could also have used calculations to blend the two.

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points