Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Fade Fill option doesn't show in Photoshop CS6

Nov 26, 2012 12:43 PM

Tags: #photoshop #fill

Why do I not get the option to "fade fill" when I use the ALT/Backspace keyboard shortcut to fill a layer.  If I use the menu option Edit/Fill.. to perform the fill I am given the option to "fade fill"

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 26, 2012 11:42 AM   in reply to ClevelandPh0T0

When you Edit>Fill you get an option for Opacity. When you alt+backspace to fill with foreground color and immediately go to Edit menu, you should see the Fade Fill option there.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 12:12 PM   in reply to ClevelandPh0T0

Odd. It works here. Are you deselecting after Alt+Backspace?

Try trashing your preferences. Quit Photoshop and hold down the shift+alt+control key AS you relaunch Photoshop (shift+opt+command on a Mac). You'll get a small dialog to confirm you wan to reset your preferences.

It shouldn't make a difference... but I'm on a Mac using opt+delete keys to Fill with Foreground Color. Should be the same on PC, but maybe not?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 1:40 PM   in reply to ClevelandPh0T0

Hi there! You’ve posted your question in a forum that is for beginners trying to learn the basics of Photoshop.  I'm moving your question to the Photoshop General Discussion forum for specialized attention to your situation.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 2:16 PM   in reply to ClevelandPh0T0

press CNTL/J to make a new layer with that selection ( new layer is now selected)

Ok. If you make a new layer via copy, it creates a new layer of the selection but now deselected (ie, no marching ants). Fill via Alt+Backspace and now Edit>Fade Fill is grayed out. OK, I see that here too with those steps.

So I guess a work-around after Cntl+J, is to go Cntl+A to selected the whole of the new layer, then Alt+Backspace. Now Edit> Fade Fill should be active.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 2:55 PM   in reply to ClevelandPh0T0

I'm going to vote for bug on this. Minor bug. I don't see why keyboard shortcut to fill to a layer should have Fade Fill grayed out like this.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 6:06 PM   in reply to ClevelandPh0T0

Actually that used to work in the way you want on non background layers in versions 5 and 5.5, but was changed to the present way in the old photoshop 6.

Why the change i don't know.

On windows you can also use the keyboard shortcuts of Shift+F5 or Shift+Backspace to bring up the fill dialog.

You could also record an action for the Edit>Fill with foreground color and then assign a keyboard shortcut to the action, there by skipping the dialog

and still have the fade (Shift+Ctrl+F) available.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points