Skip navigation
toddtamcsin
Currently Being Moderated

Copy transition to multiple stills at once in Premeire Elements 9

Nov 26, 2012 12:52 PM

Tags: #9 #premiere #elements #images #transitions #to #multiple #copy

I am building a video from 500 still images - jpegs.  I want to quickly create a single transition that I can apply throughout all 500 stills in one operation.  I am unable to paste this transition throughout the entire video without selecting each slide individually.  So the question is how to select all images and apply the same transition to all in one operation?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 26, 2012 5:14 PM   in reply to toddtamcsin

I do not have PrE 9, so am not sure if any of these will apply.

In Photoshop Elements Organizer (often used for creating SlideShows, and especially if one has the PSE & PrE bundle), one can add the Default Transition to all Images, or can add Random Transitions.

In PrPro, one can Import an Image Sequence, with numbered Stills, and add the Default Transition to all, when dragging to the Timeline.

In PrPro CS 6, one can Select a series of Stills/Clips on the Timeline, and add the Default Transition.

If PrE 9 has similar capabilities, I am certain that others will instruct you how to add the Default Transition. It might be at Import, or it might be possible with Stills/Clips already on the Timeline.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 5:21 PM   in reply to toddtamcsin

Todd,

I now see why I did not see your post.

I will now Move it to the Premiere Elements Forum, where users (many with PrE 9) will see it, and can comment.

Glad that you sent me that PM.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 6:43 AM   in reply to toddtamcsin

Todd,

As you have found out, Shift+click functions differently in the Timeline, than it does elsewhere, like in the Project Panel. In the Project Panel, Shift+click + Shift+click works as anticipated, basically from - to. In the Timeline, it functions as Ctrl+click does - one at a time, adding to the Selection with each Shift+click. It is the same in PrPro too.

For the Default Transition, in the Transitions thumbnail Panel, just Rt-click on a Transition, and choose Set as Default Transition.

Now, I create my SlideShows a bit differently, but the ideal seems to be to use Organizer in PSE to do the beginning work, then Send to Premiere, where one would choose Break Apart, to do additional work, such as adding Video, Audio, and more intricate editing.

My normal workflow differs, and also involves PrPro, as I do not have PSE (only its "big-brother," Photoshop). First, I use PS (Photoshop) to Scale my original Still Images to match my Project, say NTSC 640 x 480 w/ square pixels, in an NTSC DV 720 x 480 Project. When I use my Scaling Action, I change the file names to be an Image Sequence, with the file name ending in 001 through xxx. Then, I Import as an Image Sequence, where I can add the Default Transition between each Image. I also set my Duration in Edit>Preferences>General>Still Image Duration, if I want something different from the Default of 05 sec. I then Shift+click on the first, and the last (I am in the Project Panel now, so that works, as we see it in many other programs), and drag to the Timeline. As I am not working from the PSE Organizer, I do not need to Break Apart. Then, I add Video, Titles, alter individual Still's Duration (if needed), and Export, when done, to my desired format/CODEC.

Because of the differences between the programs: PS, PrPro, and PSE (w/ Organizer) and PrE, I am not sure how what I do translates, but others will point out where it does, and where it does not. I know that Steve Grisetti has written several books on using PSE and PrE together, plus more on just PrE (plus Sony DVD Architect), and Tips & Tricks in PrE, so he IS the authority on creating SlideShows, and using both PSE and PrE, plus the Organizer. He will be able to give you instructions, and point you in the right direction.

Good luck, and hope that I am not confusing things, between the various Adobe programs.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 8:42 AM   in reply to toddtamcsin

plus I like how it would also solve the different apect ratios of video and stills in the same presentation.

When doing mixed-media Projects (with both Video and Still Images), I always set up my Project to match my Video 100%. Then, I Open my Stills in PS, create an Action to batch process a complete folder of Images, and Scale those to match my Project's Frame Size 100% (unless I need to Pan on a Zoomed out Image, and then I handle that separately), run the Automate>Batch (the syntax might have changed with CS 4?) on that folder of originals, Scaling them to a new folder, with a slight change in the naming convention. It that folder of Scaled Images, that I Import for editing, leaving the originals untouched, in case I need them again, for another Project, or in case I messed something up.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points