Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How can I rectify horrible thick lines after SVG import into Illustrator

Nov 26, 2012 1:16 PM

Tags: #mac #cs6 #cs6_svg_import #cs6_try_out #stroke-size

I have an SVG file that displays fine in InkScape but erroneously displays lines as huge thick blocks  in Illustrator. The SVG file was created originally by Sibelius 7 music notation app. The only reason I would consider buying Illustrator would be to import Sibelius generated SVG files for graphic manipulation. So I would dearly love to sort this out, or it's a big no-no to Illustrator. Any help really welcome! Thanks in advance!

Peter

Mac OS 10.8.2

CS6 try-out

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 26, 2012 1:55 PM   in reply to petermcaleer

inpossible to say without seeing a file.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 2:21 PM   in reply to petermcaleer

Need to download the ai file if possible. You'll have to host it somewhere and provide a link.

It could be a very simple matter of selecting everything and choosing a stroke weight. But there's no way to tell that unless the actually .ai file is seen, not a screenshot.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 3:01 PM   in reply to petermcaleer

Depending on the document's structure it might be rather easy to select stuff.

But as Scott already said: impossible to say without a look at the actual file and not just a screenshot.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 10:26 AM   in reply to petermcaleer

Just a couple of questions / observations;

1) I notice on the Sibelius 7 web page that it can also export as pdf. Have you tried that export, then importing that into Illustrator?

2) You say these are multiple pages (up to 70?). Illustrator is not optimal for multi-page files. Have you looked into InDesign?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 11:49 AM   in reply to petermcaleer

I'm glad I could help.

Yes, when I first started here there were about three dozen people with the handle "Bob'. So I went with OldBob just for something different.

P.S. An old rule of mine; When in doubt, check the website of the exporting software to see what other formats may be available.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points