• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

help setting up external service for email (MX record)

New Here ,
Nov 26, 2012 Nov 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to all of this so bear with me....

I am trying to set up mail using an external service...

Previously my website and email was hosted by justhost.com... i used muse to develop the website so i recently switched to business catalyst to host and im using domain forwarding to the new site hosted through the business catalyst. (not sure if this plays a role in my issue)

my email was (as i said) through justhost and i had it set up on my computer with outlook and on my phone. worked fine before...

when i switched to busines catalyst email went down so now im trying to set it up with the mx record. I have gotten it to work intermittantly but overall no success.

seems like im missing something simple???

please help

TOPICS
Going live

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

When you setup your domain for your BC site, which settings have you used from the "New Domain" under Site Settings / Site Domains?

site domain.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i used the host with this service the same as you have above

and use another external service for email

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2013 Feb 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going through the same issue now. Is there documentation on how/why the MX record needs to be changed for email to work? I only wanted the Muse web site to point to my domain name. I didn't want to change the email records, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2013 Apr 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem.  My e-mail was working fine through Godaddy.  When I set up the BC site, the e-mail went down.  I successfully made the MX records.  My test e-mails now make it to the Godaddy servers.

The problem is the old server name on my mail accounts no longer work, so I can't get the mail downloaded from the Godaddy servers.  The POP account incoming mail server used to be called "mail.mysite.com".  What should this server name be called now?  Or is there something else wrong?

Thanks,

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2013 Apr 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found the answer.  Had to crawl through the Godaddy website and find the new server name for my e-mail accounts.  Setting up the BC site and making the MX records will changed the server name on my pre-existing external e-mail accounts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2013 May 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a_chin,

can you tell us where you found the the new server name for the email accounts on the GoDaddy site?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

Godaddy is such a mess, I couldn't find the same place I found the other day, but I found it listed in another spot.  Go to the Control Panel for "Domains", and click on your domain.  In the area labeled "DNS manager", click "Launch".  This will take you to a page called "Zone File Editor", and all of the servers for that account will be listed under a section called "CNAME".

I should've written down the exact location I found the other day because it's a rat's nest in there.  Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You a_chin

However, my client in frustration for not getting mail on his phone and (I'm sure at this point) thinking that I don't know what the heck I am doing with his website call ipage.com.

They confirmed to him that the name servers are pointed at worldsecuresystems.com (the Business Catalyst server). My client told me that told him that he had to wait for the MX server to propgate. My client told me that they made no indcation that they did or would make any changes on the ipage.com side of things. Oddly my client started getting emails after about an hour. I check the new muse website I had built and the URL pointed at his old wordpress site. I was confused to say the least. I logged on the the ipage.com admin panel and the name servers where changed back to the ipage defult name servers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 05, 2013 May 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As some iformation for you guys what you are doing is the following...

You have your domain and your email is an external source. You want the domain to point to a new website.  Doing the name servers method in this case you are then having to set up the mx records in BC to forward the emails on.

So the emails are taking extra steps to go in and out. It is kind of like if you put someone in between you and your friend passing on the messages between you.

What is reconded in this case is for you to only point the A-Record in website domain manager (not BC) so that the emails there are untouched (likely in existing setups already setup) and you only point the web trafic to your website.

Then you are talking directly between yourself and your friend and the emails are easier to manage and there is no need to wait for them to propergate or risk run into issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2013 Oct 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this change the address in the address bar to include businesscatalyst in the title?

I think crazy domains require an additional payment to enable this..any chance if you know this is the case?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 07, 2013 Oct 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Crazy domains needs you to pay extra if you want to set up A-records instead of just out right doing the NS Records. Bit stupid if you ask me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same issue with my client's site after changing to BC. He is using iPage and I am not very famular with them. I got his email back up and running in the iPage wabmail but still nothing works in outlook or on his phone.

This thread was helpful. at least I know I'm not the only one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines