Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

"Standard" vs "High" setting for iOS on an iPad 1/2

Nov 26, 2012 5:07 PM

I'm working on an iOS project and tryingg to go Universal.  How will setting changing "Standard" to "High" resolution effect my app?

My project is at 960 x 640.  When I chose standard for iPhone ... it creates a 480 x 320 ipa ... which is great because it is a low res pixel game.  Will AIR continue to scale my app into iPhone "Standard" resolution on an iPad 1/2?  Or will the project be at 960x640 and essentially ignore the "Standard" setting?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 27, 2012 10:31 AM   in reply to distropolis

If your project is being exported at 480x320 then it will remain at that. If you toggle high it will simply go up to 960x640. To be truely universal you should set it to high and run some detection on the available resolution to determine how best to draw your app.

Here's an extensive Adobe article on dealing with multiple resolutions and pixel densities:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/air/articles/multiple-screen-sizes.html

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 11:01 AM   in reply to distropolis

If you set standard it will be 480x320 (landscape) but scaled up to 960x640. In other words if you check the stages resolution (info in the article linked) you should be told your stage is 480x320 if you have "Standard" set.

I have a couple iPad apps set as Standard (made before Retina hit) that I continue to use Standard on to this day, which still reports 1024x768 (fullscreen) despite being on Retina (iPad3 and 4).

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 11:19 AM   in reply to distropolis

Stage dimensions, yes.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 2:11 PM   in reply to distropolis

You have NO_SCALE set and you're checking the stage resolution, not the available window resolution correct?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2012 1:29 AM   in reply to distropolis

I'll have to check Flash Builders report Monday when I get back to work, my iPads are all there. I know on 3/4 my app calculates available space and stays at standard 1024x768 resolution. I never developed for non-retina iPhone targeting iPad. I presumed it would be the same as iPad non-retina to retina. I'll report back then. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points