Skip navigation
Kent_Brockman
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign CS5 - Formatting of page numbers in an index

Nov 26, 2012 4:56 PM

Tags: #cs5 #line_breaks #index_entries_multiple

I created a book index and it looks fine except for a topic with multiple page numbers that extends to more than one line. Page numbers are separated by a comma and a space. Sometimes the line breaks with the comma going to the next line. Sometimes a page number with three digits will break after the first or second numeral. 

I'm using a PC.

How can I fix this?

Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 27, 2012 12:27 PM   in reply to Kent_Brockman

Long shot, but what language is assigned to the numbers when you select them?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 12:48 PM   in reply to Kent_Brockman

No. language is a character attribute, and you'll find it at the bottom of the Character pnael or in the Control panel.

The setting for languae inthe prefs is just a choice of which vendor's dictionary will be used, if there is more than one.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 1:02 PM   in reply to Kent_Brockman

I don't think so. Neither of those would be set to break numbers or punctuation like that. You might want to try a trip through .idml and see if that helps: Remove minor corruption by exporting

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 1:30 PM   in reply to Kent_Brockman

The folks with the indexing experience tend to show up a little later in the day. hang on for a bit and they may have some other ideas. At this point I'm clueless

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points