Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Transparent edges in psd exported from Illustrator

Nov 26, 2012 5:30 PM

Hello Community,

I have something going on when I export from Illustrator as a PSD using the artboard. It ends up with a line of transparency around the edges, and is larger than the size of the art exported. It gains about .01 inch around the edges, and when I use 'trim transparent pixels' in Photoshop, it trims it down so it has only gained .07 inches around the edges, but doesn't lose the last line of pixels that are semi-transparent. I am using a script that exports it, then re-imports it and places it in the Illustrator file, effectively swapping the vector for raster. It's part of a larger process I have no control of, so the process is not something I can change, otherwise I wouldn't do that.

Why is it exporting with this line of transparency on the edges? It's causing white lines to show up in the file that it gets reimported to. Until now it was ok because it only shows in the bleed, which gets trimmed off. From now on, though, this process is supposed to be used for non-bleed items, and the white lines are showing up. Attached is a closeup of an example.

Does anyone have any ideas how to stop it from happening?

Cheers,

Emmy Williford

white-lines.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 26, 2012 8:36 PM   in reply to emmysue32

Do you have an effect of any kind applied to the object at the tedge?

Can we see the a screen shot of the AI file witht he layers panel and the layers expanded as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 4:39 AM   in reply to emmysue32

Hi Emmy,

the transparent pixels are the result of the conversion from Inches to Pixels.

11.95 Inch = 860.4 Px

Since an 0.4 pixel does not exist an extra pixel is added to the file.

Set your Rulers to Pixels (Ctrl-click Ruler) and make sure that the artwork you want to export only measures full pixels.

Even if you work with whole pixels, you may also check the resolution: 72 or multiples thereof are ok, but some resolutions may introduce extra anti-aliased semi-transparent pixels

regards,

Ton

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 5:22 AM   in reply to emmysue32

Ok I got it you have two choices to get rid of this problem this is what I found out.

if you export the file with the choice of art optimize or type optimize you will get this antialias artifact if you choose none as the optimize option then you will not get this anti alas artifact since there is no anti alias being applied.

The second choice is to turn on align to pixel grid and then you can export with art or type optimze as an anti alias option and this artifact will not be present.

You have a third option and that is to keeep your optimization options and set the color background shape to align to pixel grid on the object level and not the document level using the align to pixel grid option in the transform panel you have to show options in the transform panel to see this option.

Here is  no align to lixel grid with none for optimizing

Screen Shot 2012-11-28 at 8.04.26 AM.png

Here it is with Art Optimized

Screen Shot 2012-11-28 at 8.04.00 AM.png

Here it is with Type Optimized

Screen Shot 2012-11-28 at 8.04.10 AM.png

Here it it with art optimized and align to pixel grid document wide

Screen Shot 2012-11-28 at 8.06.35 AM.png

Here it is with the background object only set to align to pixel grid

Screen Shot 2012-11-28 at 8.15.22 AM.png

I hope this gives you the options you need

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 5:28 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

OK this is with none as the optimize option and without align to pixel grid at 300 ppi export which looks good to me

Screen Shot 2012-11-28 at 8.25.45 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 6:36 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Looks good for vector art, but the none optimize option will produce bad looking small type.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 6:48 AM   in reply to Ton Frederiks

You did not read what I psoted very well I wrote that if you have a lign to pixel grid you can use any of the optimized options including type optimize and if you use align to pixel grid only on the background shape ypou can also use any of the optimized options including type optimize.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 6:58 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Here is a screenshot only the background shape is set to align to pixel grid.

Screen Shot 2012-11-28 at 9.51.31 AM.png

The top screen shot is 72 ppi and this is a close up at 300 ppi 12 pt type

Screen Shot 2012-11-28 at 9.55.58 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 7:01 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Hi Wade,

I can read very well. You wrote:

OK this is with none as the optimize option and without align to pixel grid at 300 ppi export which looks good to me

That may look good in this case, but not with small type (and screen shots are different from exported files)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 7:01 AM   in reply to Ton Frederiks

You did not read it wella  all I wrote you can align to  pixel grid on the background layer and use any of the optimize options, that is art optimize, type optimize and none.

It will work fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 7:15 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Here it is with type optimize 6pt type and no problem with the edges

Screen Shot 2012-11-28 at 10.13.12 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 11:33 AM   in reply to emmysue32

If you wish you can mark something as the answer or as helpful helpful you can mark a few times for one thread, I think and only once for the answer.

it is not really important once a thread is marked  the other users doing a search will be able to see the whole thread so that is more important.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points