Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can't open Raw file

Nov 26, 2012 6:49 PM

I have a Canon Powershot SX50 HS and downloaded and installed the ACR version 7.2.  When I attempt to open a CR2 file in PSE 10, I get the message "Cannot open ...CR2 because it is the wrong type of file".  Why can't I open the file?  Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 26, 2012 8:14 PM   in reply to Dave_Tr.

You can't use any version of ACR 7 in PSE 10. You will need to put back the old plugin, then you can use the free DNG converter to make a file that PSE 10 may open, if you don't want to upgrade.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,805 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Nov 27, 2012 4:07 PM   in reply to Dave_Tr.

You can only update PSE10 as far as version 6.7

You need to upgrade to PSE11 for version 7.2

But even upgrading to PSE11 you will have to wait a few weeks because your camera requires version 7.3

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,805 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Nov 27, 2012 4:43 PM   in reply to Dave_Tr.

If you are in a hurry to process your raw files use Canon DPP which came on the DVD with your camera. Otherwise download the DNG 7.3 release candidate and you can then use the images in PSE10.

Adobe Labs Downloads click here DNG Converter 7.3 RC

You can convert a whole folder of CR2 images in one click. See this quick video tutorial:

You Tube click here for DNG Converter tutorial

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 28, 2012 12:19 AM   in reply to Dave_Tr.

Dave_Tr. wrote:

Thanks, 2 questions:

1) So once the 7.3 release candidate goes live (out of beta), I can download that plug-in and then open CR2 files directly in PSE10?

2) If I want to try the beta, is it for PSE or just full photoshop?  The download page that I looked at says "Adobe Photoshop Camera Raw 7.3 Release Candidate" and it mentions cs6 only.  If it also applies to PSE, would I be able to use it as a plug-in in addition to the converter?

Question 1 = Not directly in PSE10. Should be ok in PSE11. Use the DNG converter to open DNG format in PSE10.

Question 2 = I have not yet tested the 7.3 relase candidate but it should work in PSE11. Maybe some other user has already tested it ?

If you don't want to upgrade to PSE11, the DNG converter is your solution.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,805 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Nov 28, 2012 9:04 AM   in reply to Dave_Tr.

We are just helpful volunteers. Other community users like yourself. We can sympathize and offer solutions or work-arounds but sorry, we can’t do anything about Adobe policy.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points