Skip navigation
reinc-me
Currently Being Moderated

Images added to the timeline lost their alpha-channel

Nov 26, 2012 8:04 PM

Tags: #image #png #alpha #premiere_elements_11

Hi,

 

I am using Premiere Elements 11.0 and added a few png-imags to the timeline (in a different channel than the imported movie). Every image had one part with completely opaque pixels and one part with completely transparent pixels. At first it showed up very nicely exactly the way I wanted it to. But when I added the fourth picture or so, all the transparent pixels in the images turned black.

 

The source images still look exactly the same. I tried saving them again with Photoshop and with Paint.NET. I tried removing one picture and adding it again. I tried closing Premiere Elements and opening it again. Somehow nothing worked.

 

I checked the 'Interpret Footage'-window and there is no check mark before 'Ignore Alpha Channel' for any of the images.

 

I hope that someone here can help me ;-).

 

 

Thanks,

 

Gordian

 
Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 27, 2012 6:59 AM   in reply to reinc-me

    I create a lot of Images with Transparency, but always use PSD's. PNG's support Transparency, but the method differs from that in PSD. The only time that I have used a PNG with Transparency, has been a single logo, or similar.

     

    Why the first several PNG's workded, but then stopped working, is a mystery to me. Only thing that I can think of would be if the pixel x pixel size of those PNG's is large, then perhaps there is a resources issue, when enough are added to the Timeline. What are the pixel x pixel size of the PNG's?

     

    I also find it odd, that when a PSD w/ Transparency is added to the PNG's, it does not display its Transparency correctly, but if it IS a resources issue, that might explain it.

     

    I just looked back at a Project, where I used PS to create all of the Titles, including a very long Roll, and about a dozen more, and the PSD's w/ Transparency all worked perfectly. The Roll was 720 x 4000 pixels, but all the others were sized to the Project, 720 x 480 w/ PAR = 1.2. [In a PrPro Project, I had two such long Rolls, and ~ 50 Titles in PSD's w/ Transparency, with no issues, but that is a different program.]

     

    Maybe others have observed issues with Transparent PNG's, and can shed some light on things.

     

    In the meantime, it is good that you have the workaround of using PSD's w/ Transparency, to get your Project finished, but I am surprised at the behavior that your PNG's exhibited. A puzzle to me.

     

    Good luck,

     

    Hunt

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 27, 2012 8:46 AM   in reply to reinc-me

    You can mark your last Reply as "Correct," as that is how you solved the issue. The thread will then show as "Answered," and that can be beneficial to others, if they encounter the same issue, and Search for the answers.

     

    Good luck, and thank you for thinking about the marking of the thread. Too many never consider that, and it IS helpful for others.

     

    Hunt

     
    |
    Mark as:

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

  • 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points