Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Working with files and templates

Nov 26, 2012 8:35 PM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 26, 2012 8:35 PM   in reply to Community Help

I am currently working on a book. It is a 2000+pg book and the introductory file has recently been updated with current TOC and now won't open at all. Can you give me any suggestions?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 5:13 AM   in reply to TeaTotal

What happens when you try to open it?

What version of ID and what OS? Do you have a backup of the chapter?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 2:47 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Morning Peter, I'm using ID CS5 v7.0.3 on XP Professional.

I recreated the intro pages which I detached from the book before doing the text updates. I reattached the file before I generated the TOC and everything was okay when I shut down last night. I closed the file and opened it again with no problem. I created a backup of the chapter before reattaching to the book.

I've just opened the book and am experiencing the same problem. This is what I get:

Cannot open the document "[file path]". You may not have permission or the document may be open already.

I'm the only one working on the book and I have permission. If I try open the file only and not in the book it will just say the file cannot be opened.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 3:02 PM   in reply to TeaTotal

I don't think it has anything to do with your problem, but there's one more update to CS5 that you should install.

Check to see if there's a .idlk file that didn't get deleted in the folder where the document you are trying to open is saved. You can also try opening the file as a copy.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 3:10 PM   in reply to TeaTotal

I'm not sure what the .idlk file is, so assuming it must be a Mac extension. I'm on Windows and haven't seen that extension when working on books. I've managed to open file as a copy. It seems whenever I edit the file, particularly the TOC, then close ID, it creates the problem. It would be nice to understand what I'm doing wrong that's creating the problem. Relieved I can open a copy. That definitely helps. Many thanks Peter.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 3:24 PM   in reply to TeaTotal

whenever you open a file "as original" ID writes a .idlk lock file that prevents anyone else from opening the file. That file is supposed to be deleted when you close the document. It sounds very much like that file is not being deleted. Are you working on a network?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 3:26 PM   in reply to TeaTotal

Yes, I'm working on a network.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 3:31 PM   in reply to TeaTotal

I think we've seen similar reports with networks. Recheck for the lock file, and make sure you allow some extra time after closing the file before quitting ID.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 3:44 PM   in reply to TeaTotal

I'm doing a search in my folders for the .idlk files but it's not a familiar file extension. I can't help wondering why it only does it to this one file.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2013 5:31 PM   in reply to Community Help

I work in AI with CAD files and I was in need of an AI template for working on CAD files.

I created a template from an imported CAD file (with AI open, I drag a CAD file over to open it. It the opens with all CAD layers available), but now I am unable to bring in CAD files without the CAD layers being converted to an AI layer with AI named objects on each sublayer.

I hope to be able to open my template and the bring in CAD files for my work. Is there such a means to this end?

I am using AI CS5 and Windows 7 64.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2013 5:39 PM   in reply to tsar bomba

I suggest you try the Illustrator forum.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points