Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

I copied my PS CS5 Plug Ins folder into my CS6  one & it started having problems opening & errors...

Nov 26, 2012 11:51 PM

I copied my PS CS5 Plug Ins folder into my CS6  one & it started having problems opening & errors... would someone be able to tell me what the basic/original ones should be in PS CS^6 Plug In folder please?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 27, 2012 11:45 AM   in reply to Briegan

Are you using OS X? If yes, there should be nothing in folder "/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS6/Plug-ins/" until you install optional or third party plug-ins which have been declared by the provider as being compatible with Ps CS6. The plug-ins supplied with Ps CS6 are stashed inside the .app and the user should not add or remove anything in there.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 27, 2012 1:12 PM   in reply to Briegan

Remove the CS5 plug-ins from CS6.

As you've found, doing that's a really bad idea. The new plug-in architecture for CS6 is designed to have only 3rd party (non-Adobe) plug-ins in the Plug-ins folder. All of the Adobe supplied plug-ins for CS6 are already installed. The best practice for migrating plug-ins is to get the most recent updates from the vender and run the installer to make sure all the 3rd party plug-ins are correctly installed.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 27, 2012 2:05 PM   in reply to Briegan

That would be any other plug-ins you've installed after Photoshop.  Out of the box that folder is completely empty with Photoshop CS6.

To be completely accurate, what you did wrong was that you copied plug-ins that were supplied by Adobe with the earlier version of Photoshop.  Those plug-ins logically conflict with the current ones Adobe supplies with Photoshop, which are now provided in another place.

They've changed the folder structure, so no longer are any plug-ins supplied by Adobe put in that folder.  Hopefully for a future version update you can copy those you have in Photoshop CS6 without getting yourself into the same trouble.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points