Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How can I delete areas with the magic wand in quick mask mode?

Nov 27, 2012 3:26 AM

Tags: #quickmask #magic_wand #quick_mask

I'm trying to find a quicker way to create a mask. In the image below I am removed the white areas, and I use the magic wand with - (minus) selected, at the moment I have to switch between quick mask mode as it helps see what parts you have missed.

On the left you can see an area inside the object that has been removed and the part next to is white, I would like to be able to click this white area and it ruen red so that it adds it to the selection?

Any suggestions how this could be done or is there an easier way in which to do this?

Example1.png

Replies
  • JJMack
    5,971 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Nov 27, 2012 4:36 AM   in reply to Mattmcquiff

In quick mask mode you use the paint brush with Black and White paint to add and remove selected area.  So hot D to reset the brush to the default Black and White. Select the Brush tool and Paint. The X key will switch between Black and White,

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 27, 2012 5:20 AM   in reply to Mattmcquiff

If you want to keep viewing the rubylith of Quickmask, you would have to re-target the composite channel, make the new selection, re-target the Quickmask channel then fill selection with white.

Seems like it would be easier to toggle Quickmask back-and-forth.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 8:05 AM   in reply to Mattmcquiff

When you are in QuickMask mode you can use the Lasso or Marquee tools to make an additional selection and then just use Option (Alt) Delete to quickly remove more of the rubylith. Of course this assumes you have White set to your Foreground color. It is not the best way to refine an edge but it works faster than painting with the brush for deleting larger areas of the rubylith.

Here is a very quick example:

quickmask.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 8:17 AM   in reply to Bo LeBeau

Besides the various "painting" Tools, like the Brush, etc., I do, just as you do, and can quickly use my Lasso to Select, then Delete. As mentioned above, one can all fill the Lasso, by just swapping the Colors with the X key.

I find this method simple, and quick, and I do not have to leave QM Mode.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,971 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Nov 27, 2012 9:25 AM   in reply to Mattmcquiff

First you would be better off using the Quick selection brush and using the add and subtract modifier keys then using the Magic Wand.

Doing it you way with the magic wand. here are the four steps. Step one Magic wand select the white. Step two enter quick mask mode marching ants are replaced with a red mask. Step three paint with black to deselect the red areas you want to remove from the selection black will work like an red paint remover and paint with white to add to the selection white will paint red. Step for exit quick mask mode to get the marching ants back.

QS.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,971 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Nov 28, 2012 2:37 PM   in reply to Mattmcquiff

After you get the selection you want then use refine edge to make it better.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points