Skip navigation
didda218
Currently Being Moderated

Question about page ranges in InDesign CS5 Table of Contents

Nov 27, 2012 5:51 AM

Tags: #automatically #cs5 #toc #table_of_contents #script #indesign_cs5 #index #automatic #hyphen #indexing #page_range #hyphenate #combine_pages

Does anyone know how to automatically hyphenate page ranges in a table of contents in InDesign CS5?

Right now, the table of contents generates to look something like this:

Entry1.....1

Entry2.....2

Entry2.....3

Entry2.....4

Entry3.....5

Entry3.....6

But it would be great to figure out a way so that it would combine the pages to look like this:

Entry1.....1

Entry2.....2-4

Entry3.....5-6

The catalog I'm working on is huge, so I'm looking for a script or something that could automatically make these changes. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

--Melissa

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 27, 2012 5:57 AM   in reply to didda218

Theres another thread like this that was asked about two weeks ago. I posted a script that can combine consecutive entries for the same listing and separate the numbers with commas, which gets you part way there.

I have to ask though, why people are requesting this. I've never seen a table of contents that listed page ranges. Indexes, sure, TOC, never. The presumption is that one topic in a TOC runs until the next topic starts.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 27, 2012 6:21 AM   in reply to didda218

You can check over in the scripting forum (InDesign Scripting) and see if anyone has something, and you should search for the earlier thread.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points