Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Resizing a document

Nov 27, 2012 7:10 AM

Tags: #images

I created a document that is really large (800x200 pixels) and need to scale it down to a more appropriate size so I can put it into dreamweaver for a website I am creating.  Whenever I use the document settings route and adjust the size, it cuts off part of the document I created.  How do I change the size and scale down my document without losing all my work?  Can I do this without creating an entirely new document and starting over completely? Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 27, 2012 7:49 AM   in reply to borowjil

I'm going to guess that you want to adjust the document size in Document Setup, or perhaps by using the Page tool (which I don't use, myself). I'm also guessing you are using CS6.

Layout Adjustment allows text frames and graphics to resize when the document size changes, if they are snapped to guides. It's been deprecated in favor of Liquid Layout (which I also don't use) but is not gone entirely, so you can give it a try and see if it helps. You'll find it by going to the Liquid Layout panel from either the Layout or Window menu, then open the panel flyout menu and choose Layout Adjustment. Turn it on before trying to change the size and see what happens.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 8:48 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I have tried this on my 132 page (two masters) document and it seems some pages do get adjusted and others do not. And if I reapply the adjusted master to a page that has not changed, it first notifies me about the pages haveing a custom size and when I say 'use master' a new spread appears on that spot and the non-adjusted pages just get bumped down.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 8:56 AM   in reply to Gerben Wierda

I don't use the page tool, so I don't know what effect that would have on layout adjustment if you changed a page size first. Your description isn't really complete enough to tell waht youare doing, and waht isn't working. Layout adjustment depends very heavily on theuse of guides and sanpping to to know what to adjust and how much, so you shouldn't expect to see changes unless things are, in fact, snapped to guides.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2013 12:47 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Probably, I should stay away from adopting the existing document and just create a new one (in the correct size and with the correct masters) and export/import from old to new. I gather Layout adjustments are especially handy for a document that has multiple sizes/layouts (e.g. horizontal/vertical on an iPad) but not so much for creating a new version of the document with changed content and changed layout/size.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2013 4:21 AM   in reply to Gerben Wierda

I use Layout Adjustment (as distinct from Liquid Layout, which is the method of choice, I think, for horizontal/vertical iPad work) to change the document setup in books with some regularity. As I said, the key is in snapping everything to guides, and not having unrealistic expectations.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points