Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Export as TIF option?

Nov 27, 2012 9:44 AM

Hello all

I'm using BR CS6 and need to export 1000s of processed images in their native TIF format - no changes to the size at all. After adjusting them in Camera Raw I end up reopening them in CR in order to use the 'save images' feature where I can do the tif export just fine.

My question is can I modify the settings in the 'save to hard drive' option in the Export window to save as TIF - NOT jpg like it seems to be the unchangeable default? Using Camera Raw works fine, it just ties up the whole Bridge UI until its done saving the images, and it seems that the Export panel will work in the background - I'd like that if I can get it to save uncompressed tif files...

Replies
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Nov 27, 2012 1:24 PM   in reply to TLL...

Using Camera Raw works fine, it just ties up the whole Bridge UI until its done saving the images

That's not true. If you use the open command in Bridge the files open in ACR through PS. Take a bunch of say 50 or 100 and apply the settings you want and when ready hit the save button with desired settings.

Now go to Bridge and then select the next bunch of 50 to 100 and use the Open in Camera Command (use right mouse click menu to select t easy. This opens the lot in ACR using Bridge itself while ACR in PS keeps working in the background. Apply the settings you want and hit save and probably the job in PS is already done by then and you can start again with the cycle in PS.

Only problem is that Bridge sometimes starts updating the thumbs and then it is a bit hard to select the next bunch but usually this only takes a short time, especially if you do not work in large bunches (less files also build thumbs in ACR faster).

So you can work continuously using ACR in both PS and Bridge together

Another workaround might be to first make the settings (if global you can also copy paste settings to multiple files without even opening them all in ACR, just take one and with tight mouse click choose develop / copy settings select the others together and same route but now paste settings.

You can also create a droplet in PS to play an action to save as tiff. In that case record an action in PS for this. Start the action with first select one file in Bridge and open it in ACR, then be sure to point to Image settings in ACR window (under the menu icon right in settings bar) and hit open. Then in PS hit Save As (Don't touch the filename, otherwise you end up with one file with the same name that overwrites itself again and again), choose tiff and choose folder to safe in. Then also record the close file in the action and stop recording the action.

Ten in PS under automate choose create droplet. Choose the newly created action and put a check mark in front of "override Action Open Commands' (sometimes also 'Suppress file Open Options dialog' just test it yourself) and safe the droplet to e.g. the desktop.

Then grab the folder that has all the adjusted Raw files and drop this on the droplet to get the action to work.

First test it with a few files and if correct use it overnight or during coffee breaks

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Nov 28, 2012 6:51 AM   in reply to TLL...

One thing that you didn't address in your reply is whether you can change those settings in the 'Export' panel to save tif, not jpg...

Sorry, was a bit distracted by your remark about Bridge tied up during process...

But in short, the answer is: No

And to bore you with my own opinion. The export module is something that really should not even be present in Bridge unless it is a real module, but as usual for Bridge also in this case there seems lack of a clear vision from one dedicated Product Manager and to much people working on to many different things.

You can create actions for almost every needed task in PS as you already stated your self and this can be easily reached with the menu tools / PS / Batch the files you have selected in Bridge.

Via the same route you can use the Image processor for some resizing or converting.

Why do we need yet another method for converting or resizing. The fact this export module also has options for exporting to certain social media that only works in a few countries and often not correctly did not do anything good to get a positive feeling for this panel.

Keep it simple, make it easy to use and don't overdo the tools that can do the same.

If the export module had options to reach batch and could save in different formats this panel could be useful, as crippled as it is now just leave it away

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points