Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop CS5 already in 32-bit mode; Lighting Effects filter not showing in the Filter Menu

Nov 27, 2012 10:59 AM

Tags: #photoshop #cs5 #not #effects #mode #menu #filter #showing #32-bit #lighting

Photoshop CS5 already in 32-bit mode; Lighting Effects filter not showing in the FIlter Menu. Please help!?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 27, 2012 12:36 PM   in reply to therabbit86ed2501

What operating system are you using?

You looked under Filter>Render>Lighting Effects?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 2:09 PM   in reply to therabbit86ed2501

Your document will need to be 8-bit RGB for CS5 Lighting Effects.

Edit: Still, there should be a grayed out item in the menu when the doc is not 8-bit RGB, so ignore what I wrote.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 2:20 PM   in reply to therabbit86ed2501

Under Preferences > Performance, are your GPU settings active and normal? If I disable the GPU there, Lighting Effects is grayed out.

If your display driver is up to date, then maybe a reboot of your mac might clear it up.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 2:24 PM   in reply to therabbit86ed2501

To make sure Ps is running in 32-bit mode, check the RAM in Preferences > Performance. If more than 2100 MB is reported then Ps is running in 64-bit mode, which will explain there being no entry in the menu.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 2:46 PM   in reply to therabbit86ed2501

You should context-click (right  click or ctrl-click) on the Photoshop app icon, choose "Get Info" from the context menu and be sure "32 bit" is checkmarked in the Get Info dialog.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 3:06 PM   in reply to therabbit86ed2501

That is indeed strange. Two other ideas:

1. Reset your Photoshop Prefs.  http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/preference-file-functions-names-lo cations.html

2. If that doesn't work,your CS5 installer has a repair option, you can give that a try.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 3:12 PM   in reply to therabbit86ed2501

I said, if Photoshop reports more than 2100 MB RAM then its running in 64-bit mode.

You replied that it's using 2442 MB.

If it's using 2442 then it can see at least 2442.

2442 is more than 2100, therefore it must be running in 64-bit mode, which explains why the Lighting Effects filter is absent from its menu.

Right-click the application icon in Finder and pick Get Info. Is "Open in 32-bit mode" definitely ticked?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 4:03 PM   in reply to therabbit86ed2501

That screenshot looks like you launced in 64 bit mode, then checked the box in the Finder.

Help->System Info will probably show Lighting Effects as disabled because it is not 64 bit compatible.  (scroll to the bottom of the list)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 4:14 PM   in reply to therabbit86ed2501

Lighting Effects filter still no show.

That's because Ps is running in 64-bit mode despite the 32-bit box being ticked.

RAM is 1980 MB

You may as well put that back up to where it was because Preferences is currently showing the memory for Ps in 64-bit mode.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 4:38 PM   in reply to therabbit86ed2501

Nobody said you lied, just that it looks like you made a mistake.

If Lighting Effects doesn't show up enable or disabled - something is wrong.

In 64 bit, Lighting Effects will not be grayed out -- it will not even be loaded because it can never work in 64 bit addressing.  And that should be visible in the Help -> System Info log.

My first guess would be that you somehow have multiple copies of the application, and are launching one that does not have the same plugins.

That could also explain why it looks like you launched the 64 bit version, while you set another copy to open in 32 bit.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 4:44 PM   in reply to therabbit86ed2501

Even if it was running in 64 bit mode, wouldn't Lighting Effects just be grayed out instead of missing?

No. In 64-bit mode, CS5 Lighting Effects will not be in the menu at all.

When I rebuilt the preferences and launched it again, the RAM reset to 1980 MB

Drag the slider to 70% as recommended.

How do I fix it to where it will start running again in 32-bit mode?

Have you tried rebooting the computer?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,524 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Nov 27, 2012 5:00 PM   in reply to therabbit86ed2501

Doesn't a Mac have a definitive way to check to see whether an application is running in 64 bit mode or 32?  Some kind of process manager or something?  22 posts have gone by and the original poster doesn't yet seem convinced that it is actually running in 64 bit mode.

Mac experts:  Why would something start to run in 64 bit mode even though it's set to start in 32 bit mode?  OS corruption?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 5:36 PM   in reply to therabbit86ed2501

You should be able to tell for sure which version your using by going to Help>About Photoshop

and it should say version 12.... 32 bit or 64 bit.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 6:01 PM   in reply to therabbit86ed2501

I know there have been several posts about this same issue that seemed to have been caused by running MacKeeper (possibly AKA Mac Defender).

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 6:22 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

Doesn't a Mac have a definitive way to check to see whether an application is running in 64 bit mode or 32?  Some kind of process manager or something?  22 posts have gone by and the original poster doesn't yet seem convinced that it is actually running in 64 bit mode.

I don't know why there has been doubt since post #12 where I explained that Ps must be running in 64-bit mode when more than 2100 MB RAM is reported in Preferences.

Anyway, here's a screenshot of Activity Monitor showing CS6 in 64-bit mode and CS5.1 in 32-bit mode.

Screen shot 2012-11-28 at 02.13.11.png

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 8:05 PM   in reply to therabbit86ed2501

Unfortunatly from what i've read, if you've already run mackeeper, then damage has already been done.

It seems that a reinstall of O SX or updating to a newer version of O SX is the only sure way to get back whatever os components that may have been deleted by mackeeper.

Toward the bottom of this post is a synopsis of how to go about a reinstall: (second from last post)

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop_cs6_sa ve_for_web_window_mostly_black_and_unreadable

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,524 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Nov 27, 2012 8:11 PM   in reply to therabbit86ed2501

Not being a Mac user I only know what I've read, but isn't MacKeeper basically malware or at best snake oil?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 8:12 PM   in reply to therabbit86ed2501

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 7:02 AM   in reply to therabbit86ed2501

Mountain Lion will introduce new problems. Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6.8) is an excellent OS. Why don't you re-install Snow Leopard? Have you lost the installer DVD?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,524 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Nov 28, 2012 11:42 AM   in reply to therabbit86ed2501

May I make a suggestion?

Right now, before you do ANYTHING else, get whatever hardware it takes and figure out how to make backups, and take the time to back up your files!

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 5:05 PM   in reply to therabbit86ed2501

therabbit86ed2501 wrote:

That really didn't answer my question

You've had malware messing with the OS, so completely reinstall the OS to be on the safe side. Format the OS partition, which erases everything on it, and install Snow Leopard and bundled Apple apps from scratch. Next run Software Update to bring SL and Apple apps up to date. Then install Photoshop and any other software and check for updates for them.

but I did back up all my files.

At least two backups on separate external drives, I hope.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2013 7:58 AM   in reply to conroy

What REALLY pisses me off, for this INCREDIBLY HUGE amount of money...I HAD NEVER had to F about before for Simple lighting effects, even w/ Version SEVEN for example, WAY THE F before CS...it had lighting effects, etc. w/ omini, etc. NOW it's like they've made it MUCH more difficult..one needs more memory which I should be fine yet, it's GREED that is ALL THIS **** IS..FU ADOBE...MOTHERF'ers..FU.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points