Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

AE6 crashes when rendering with SWF footage

Nov 28, 2012 12:57 PM

I've been importing and compositing SWFs on a regular basis.

For the last little while I've been using Flash CS6 to create the SWFs and AE CS5 (due to plugin availability), without any problems. But ever since I switched to AE CS6 I get regular crashes when rendering compositions containing SWFs. When I say regular, I mean that I can hardly render a 20 second movie without a freeze, but it doesn't happen on a paricular frame. - It's apparently random. There also seems to be no correllation with Flash Player version, specific plugins or AE projects. The only workaround is to render to an image sequence and set up a new render every time AE freezes during the render. Strangely, I don't get theses freezes when scrubbing and previewing in AE, only during rendering!

I'm running all the latest Flash and AE updates.

Any ideas?

Simon

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 28, 2012 5:23 AM   in reply to spin22

The system Event Viewer is your friend. Also some system specs, exact render and comp settings, effects and settings involved (continuous rasterization, MP rendering, what have you...) Could be anything from issues with AE's cache to some issues in the Flash components with drawing invisible buffers to otehr things like AE trying to add a dummy audio track and flaking out on that...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 12:58 PM   in reply to Mylenium

As Mylenium says, we need to know a lot more if we're going to help you. Please provide answers to the questions listed here: "FAQ: What information should I provide when asking a question on this forum?"

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 7:46 PM   in reply to spin22

I've done a 3:30 cartoon and I didn't quite suceed rendering it in after effects, neither ad. premiere; they both hanged due low memory. I've started with 4 GB / later 8GB / 12GB...it was not enough! It seems like, the more layers your swf movie uses, the more memory it needs to render.

I suggest you to cut your swf file into small pieces. Export each piece as MPEG2 file. Rejoin all the MPEG 2 files in your timeline. Export it again as single file.

My cartoon...no big deal!

I've seen cartoons longer than that...as "I love pandas" from the animator Jessica Borutski. I ask myself: professionals use home computers like us, or they use supercomputers?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2012 12:47 AM   in reply to spin22

Any chance that this in fact could be more of a compatibilty issue with ProRes in CS6? I vaguely recall something like that...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2012 2:39 PM   in reply to spin22

Have you tried the suggestion of cutting the SWF file up into smaller durations and using them separately? I suspect a problem with using such a large SWF file.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2013 6:44 AM   in reply to spin22

im having the same issue, and have cs6 and the last update installed.  The crash is random, no matter if the swf is 1 frame or 650 frames long. replacing the swf file with mov files solved the problem, so is im very confident is a swf issue.

Also its not only in one particula composition, every time i use swf into my cs6 project crash on render, o working with the timeline.

This is very frustrating cuz my work flow sucks if i have to convert all my swf files into mov files.  CS5 works like charm with swf, but CS6 just dont.  Any ideas?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2013 8:25 AM   in reply to 8ardock

This is fixed in After Effects CC (12.0).

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2013 10:00 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Im asking for help in cs6, sorry i dont have cc, i already spend $900 bucks on this cs6 and i will stick with it for a while.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2013 3:37 PM   in reply to spin22

If I knew this trick before, I wouldn't have walked through the valley of the shadow of death. Just forget exporting your work as a swf file and importing it to AE: it will hang cuz swf files are vector files, no pixels files, bla, bla, bla, something like that. You better export each frame as a JPEG file; then you import all the JPEG pictures as a movie to AE: bingo! I'm sure it will work perfectly! If this magic works in time lapse movies, why they wouldn't work with a cartoon? You don't need to ask your money back now...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2013 3:24 PM   in reply to MXMXVR

JPEG.... are u serious?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2013 1:12 PM   in reply to 8ardock

I really don't know what Spen22's project is about. When I suggest exporting the flash movie as JPEG Files and importing them as a movie to AE is about time lapse movies! If I can turn time lapse movies into a movie, I could use the same technique with flash projects. Everything I have to do is exporting all the frames as JPEG files and importing them to AE as a movie. I think it would perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aOnRK9I4gw

Copy and paste this address and get a look on the movie! It is a full hd movie made with 3K Jpeg pictures; that's how I created the camera movements!!! What is the matter about creating a cartoon like that? Wouldn't it work 4 u? Why?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2013 2:05 PM   in reply to MXMXVR

Dude, we understand your point, but u dont understand this post point.  CS4, CS5 and CS5.5 allow us to work with SWF files with no drama, CS6 dont.

By the way, JPEG are good only in few ocassions, but when you have lets say a character animated walking, you need transparent background once imported to AE, JPEG doesnt support transparency, so you have to use  PNG files instead, but that´s not the point, the problem here is CS6 sucks with SWF files, i im not happy having to export PNG files from flash cuz the audio sync workaround its painful.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2013 4:00 PM   in reply to 8ardock

CS5.5 sucks with SWF files too; about the background, everything you have to do is not painting your character with the same color of the background which you can remove easily: effect > keying > color range...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2013 9:17 AM   in reply to spin22

Yup, we need Cs6 working with swf WITHOUT buying CC...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points