Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can't find pictures with new hard drive - HELP!

Nov 27, 2012 5:13 PM

I just had a new hard drive installed. Everything was transferred over from the old one. Changed from Windows XP to windows 7 (64 bit). I re-installed Elements 9 but I cannot find any pictures, tags, folders - nothing. I have years of photos tagged! I get a message - no iems match this combination of filters. You can change your filter settings through view-media types or view - hidden files but I can't find this. Would really appreciate some help - I'm starting to panic!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 27, 2012 10:51 PM   in reply to Pen127

You need to locate where the original catalog was on your XP machine. If you have a backup somewhere, locate the catalog using Catalog Manager >> Custom Location.

By default the catalog location is C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs\ on Win 7 machine.

Thanks

Andaleeb

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 28, 2012 12:35 AM   in reply to andaleebfatima1

If your files have been moved or copied to a new drive, all paths (links) to the correct location of the media files have been lost in the catalog. Each location is known not only via the drive letter, but also via the serial number of the drive.

That's why the only simple and recommended way to transfer media to a new drive is to use the backup and restore process in the Organizer. You can choose the destination drive and the restore process takes the new drive identifier into account. Another advantage is that the catalog will be converted automatically to a newer PSE version.

You could try the option to 'reconnect missing files' but that's not a practical choice for a big catalog even though PSE11 is better in that respect.

http://www.johnrellis.com/psedbtool/photoshop-elements-faq.htm#_Move_y our_photos_1

and:

http://www.johnrellis.com/psedbtool/#_Writing_File_Metadata

scroll down to :

Moving Files to New Drives and Computers

and

Change a Drive’s Volume Serial Number

The psedbtool utility won't work for versions 9 and above, but the explanations may help you.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points