Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

What is the best solution for scanning 32 bit TWAIN?

Nov 27, 2012 3:16 PM

I've searched around, and found multiple "solutions" and workarounds, but none of it fits what I want very well, and the answers I've seen conflict a lot.  I'm on a Windows 7 64bit machine, running 64 bit Photoshop CS6 via the cloud (so it should be all up to date and everything).  I'm using a CanoScan LIDE200 scanner. The scanner works using WIA (rather than TWAIN), but it is very basic and yields very unsatisfactory results with very little control.  In searching around, I think I may have found a WIA driver, but in order to get it I'm required to download a proprietary "downloader" program- I'm sure with all the accompanied adware, etc..., and I refuse to do it. This was, I think, at ZDnet, and I'm not even sure the driver is what I'm looking for.

I read somewhere that downloading the 32 bit version of Photoshop will work, but I don't see where I can do that on the Adobe website.  If this is the best solution, I was thinking of maybe using a 32 bit version of Elements instead of full-blown Photoshop. 

What is the best solution for me? Is there anyone out there who has solved a similar problem?  Is there a place I can get a driver (if there is such a driver)?  Is there a 3rd party scanning software that would work better?  Or does Adobe have a solution somewhere, or with some program?

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 27, 2012 5:40 PM   in reply to Hewer1

Using the 32 bit version of Photoshop will require a Twain driver be installed. I am not familar with this scanner, but looks like the Canon drivers and scanning software only supports PDF and JPEG's as output. This may work for you, but I prefer my output in the TIFF format.

You might want to look into a product called Vuescan, available from http://www.hamrick.com/ - it supports your scanner and has won a number of awards. So why not download a trial and give it a try.

Before I upgraded to Win 7 (x64) I used to scan via Photoshop but now I much prefer to use either the native scanning software that came with my Epson Scanner, save as TIFF then open in Adobe Camera RAW - tweak the adjustments - then into Photoshop for final processing. I also use Silverfast as well - but have really settled on scanning with the Epson utility as it enables me to work on other applications while scanning. Scanning a 4x5 negative can take a while And to be honest I now do not miss not scanning directly from Photoshop

The Canon web site has drivers for Win7 x64 which would be needed if you went the Vuescan route.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 11:06 AM   in reply to Hewer1

Before the offer ends in December I would strongly urge you to get the Photoshop CS6 upgrade for $200. It comes packaged with both 32 and 64 bit versions. If you download the trial version you will get both binaries. Under 64 bit Windows you will have access to 2.3 GB of ram in the 32 bit version, more than enough for your projects. The 32 bit version comes with a twain plugin (I think you download that separately) and allow you to run your scanner as in CS3.

I know you talked about keeping up to date with the cloud version, but there's not much that needs updating in Photoshop CS6 given your needs.

If you can spare the cash and like to stay with PS,do that while you can.

Gene

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 2:02 PM   in reply to Hewer1

Ok, just download the trial and the CS6 twain plugin and see if it meets your standards before you commit to buy. I had to leave quickly and forgot to get you the link for that.

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/twain-plug-photoshop-cs4-cs5.html

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2012 6:19 PM   in reply to Hewer1

Ok, glad it's all cleared up! Thanks for letting us know.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points