Skip navigation
dgilpin92466
Currently Being Moderated

Cannot open Photoshop CS5.1

Nov 27, 2012 5:08 PM

Hi.  I have a Mac running OS X version10.7.5.  I have Photoshop Elements 8 and 9 installed. They work fine.  I also have Photoshop CS5.1 installed.  It worked fine for a number of months until yesterday.  Now, it will not open.  I re-installed from the disk, and went throught the whole process, and it said "Done".  However when I double-click the icon I get the spinning color wheel for a second or two, and the icon blinks, but nothing opens.  I restarted my machine, but that didn't solve anything - I got the same result.  I sure would appreciate any help you can provide.  Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 27, 2012 11:23 PM   in reply to dgilpin92466

Boilerplate-text:

Are Photoshop and OS fully updated?

As with all unexplainable Photoshop-problems you might try trashing the prefs (after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved and making a note of the Preferences you’ve changed) by keeping command-alt-shift pressed on starting the program or starting from a new user-account.

System Maintenance (repairing permissions, purging PRAM, running cron-scripts, cleaning caches, etc.) might also be beneficial, Onyx has been recommended for such tasks.

Weeding out bad fonts never seems to be a bad idea, either. (Validate your fonts in Font Book and remove the bad ones.)

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-fonts-photoshop-cs5.h tml

If 3rd party plug-ins are installed try disabling them to verify if one of those may be responsible for the problem.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points