Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Is there a way to edit text via shortcut key (and not dbl-clicking on the thumbnail)?

Nov 28, 2012 1:32 AM

Tags: #shortcut_key

This has been bugging me for a while now - any useful feedback would be appreciated!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 28, 2012 4:20 AM   in reply to Lukas_SouthAfrica

Press T for the text tool and double click on the text.

or

Press T for the text tool, position the mouse cursor over your text and do a right click for edit...

:-) miss_marple

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,513 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Nov 28, 2012 5:27 AM   in reply to Lukas_SouthAfrica

For what it's worth you can access any menu just by pressing and releasing the Alt key then using menu introducer letters or arrow keys to move around the menus (on a Windows system at least).

You can target different layers by using Alt + [ or Alt + ] key combinations.

That said, offhand I don't know a keyboard shortcut to edit text in a layer.  There may be one, I just don't know.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,513 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Nov 28, 2012 6:17 AM   in reply to Lukas_SouthAfrica

Actually, I'm mouse-centric, so I tend to think "mouse first" then "modify with keyboard".  With that mode of thinking the T tool is very natural.

However, I fully understand keyboard-centric operation.  I was there once, having worked through the time before mice.  I used Teco and EDT editors, for example on ASCII terminals.

More power to you in finding a 100% keyboard approach.  Hopefully there's a secret key combination we just haven't discovered.

This touches on a pretty significant difference in how people think and use computers. I'd say more keyboard-centric people have influenced the latest Windows release, for example.  For a mouse-centric person comments like "you'll work faster" don't really apply.  Quite often keyboard-centric people can't understand that.  It's always an interesting debate, because both camps usually think they're doing things "the right way" (when in fact there are multiple "right ways").

-Noel

P.S., If there actually ISN'T a way to edit text purely by keyboard input, you should request that it be added (assuming there's even one unused key combination remaining).  Adobe usually sees posts in this forum, but they specifically ask for enhancement requests to be submitted on this site:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2012 5:27 AM   in reply to Lukas_SouthAfrica

Lukas_SouthAfrica wrote:

...  I'm trying to minimise the time spent off the artboard on toolbars and time spent finding commands or tools - so I'm trying to increase the 'drawing time', if that makes sense?...

May be it makes sense for you but the shortcuts you are working on to avoid mouse when editing text doesn't make much sense to me. I simply can't imaging how a combination of shortcuts could be faster than using the mouse (I'm using a pen). Using the mouse automatically selects the text layer and also puts the insertion point in the desired place (click), or selects the desired text range (drag), or selects the text line (double click) or selects all text lines (quadruple click).

I can't imagine how all these actions can be done faster with combinations of shortcuts. I also consider myself a shortcuts addict but selecting a layer with shortcuts requires finding the  layer containing the text which in a multiple layer document with complex grouped hierarchy will be a daunting task, then putting the insertion point in the desired place or selecting a text range with the arrow keys while holding Shift seems a lot more work to me comparing to pointing and clicking or dragging with a mouse. At least this is the case on my workspace where the pen is always in my hand even when I type and tablet is right in front and under the keyboard, and I also have a mouse on the right side of the keyboard - all input devices are within easy reach here

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2012 12:37 PM   in reply to Lukas_SouthAfrica

I can imagine as useful a hotkey alternative to double clicking the text layer icon with certain repetitive tasks like changing the text on a range of stacked text layers. For example you want to add something in front or back of the text or replace the entire text on a number of text layers on the same layer hierarchy level. The keyboard activity could be Alt+ ] or [ to go to the next layer above or below. Then hitting the feature request hotkey that selects the entire text (Enter is already taken for changing the focus to the font menu but Alt + Enter is available and could be good) then type to replace the text or press left or right arrow and type to add in front or end of the text. In this case such hotkey combination will beat the mouse.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2012 3:31 PM   in reply to Lukas_SouthAfrica

Hi Lukas,

I think I might have a solution for you involving actions. Create a new action, with a function  key, that records just the double click on the text layer thumbnail. Now toggle the dialog ON option for that action. When I run it via function key on any selected text layer, it activates the text edit mode and highlights the current text string.

textEditAction.png

I haven't tried anything too extensive so there may be other problems with this method, but it's worth some experimenting.

regards,

steve

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2012 5:22 PM   in reply to SG...

Hmm, before replying to this thread I tried to see if double clicking the icon of a text layer is recorded in the actions and it appeared not to. But now after you posted this I tried again and realized that it is recorded but it works depending on how it is played back. If I click the pay arrow at the bottom of the Actions panel it doesn't select anything but if I double click the action step in the Action panel it does select the text. I didn't try to see if that will be the case with assigning a hotkey.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points