Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Aligning layers

Nov 28, 2012 3:19 AM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 28, 2012 3:19 AM   in reply to Community Help

I have no idea what this means: "Choose Layer > Align or Layer > Align Layers To Selection".

Is there a command, "Choose Layer"? If there is, where is it.

I am equally lost with every other part of this help.

It would really help a newbie like me uf the help started with what version of Photoshop.

Then please explain what you are doing. I am a Ps CS6 newbie, and this help only confuses me.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 4:18 AM   in reply to Mark.Stewart

Is there a command, "Choose Layer"?

There is a menu item »Layer«.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Nov 28, 2012 4:23 AM   in reply to Mark.Stewart

Think of the word "Choose" as "Click the Mouse on the Menu Item Entitled..."

Edit:  Christoph beat me to it. 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 9:02 AM   in reply to Community Help

I cannot get the layers to align/distribute evenly spaced between them. I select the 5 layers I want. One of those layers is far left, the other far right (my outside edges of the group) The other 3 layers fall between the left and right. With all 5 layers selected I and the move tool selected I choose Distribute Horizontal Centers. WHICH should leave the exact same "blank" space between each image... IT DOESN'T!! It overlaps images where is shouldn't and leaves no space and between others it leaves a random amount of space. I have read al the manuals, I know how to use the command in AI, Indd and Quark... but it just isn't working in PSD CS6. Is there a layout positioning preference or does snap need to be off, the layers linked or in an order... what is it? --thanks for your help it is driving me nuts!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 9:14 AM   in reply to JMGFLA

I choose Distribute Horizontal Centers. WHICH should leave the exact same "blank" space between each image

Not per se, as it focuses on the centers.

Do all the Layers have the exact same width?

To check for stray pixels try hitting cmd-T with each Layer selected individually … are the boxes larger than expected?

Could you please post a screenshot with the pertinent Panels visible?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 10:51 AM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

I must just be crazy... I get what you are saying about it focusing on the centers, but I swear I thought it evenly distrubuted with equal gutters. I must just be having a brain dead day. The first image is example 7 "photos" varying in size. The next top portion is the resulting "distribute Horizontally Centers". The portion below it was what I was expecting, the red box showing that the gutters between images were identical.  Maybe I am just used to QuarkXpress.... "Space Horizontally".

distribute.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 11:10 PM   in reply to JMGFLA

I think there are Scripts for distributions about, maybe you should ask over at

http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop/photoshop_scripting?view=d iscussions

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Jun 19, 2013 3:35 AM   in reply to JMGFLA

Hello, Trevor Morris has devised a script to do so: http://morris-photographics.com/photoshop/scripts/ called, in your case, distribute layer spacing horizontal

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,873 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jun 19, 2013 4:12 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

Pierre, I was going to ask how to go about moving the 12 tool Demonzon panel to PS CC, but searched my system for Trevor Morris, found the 'dmonzon tools - Trevor Morris Scripts.zxp' file tucked away on a drive somewhere, double clicked it and it launched the CC Extension Manager, and appeared in PS CC.  It worrys me when things are that easy.    There some very useful tools in the panel as well.  My favourite is Array Generator, which is something I miss from Autocad.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 5:41 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

Thanks to both of you forthe help and setting me straight about the distribution commands. I will download the scipts and hope they work. I appreciate your advice.  Thanks again.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 10:35 PM   in reply to Community Help

what does it mean, when using the Edit > Auto Align Layers, "Layers do not overlap enough to detect alignment... Layers should overlap by at least 40%.

i'm certain that i have overlapped the shapes by at least that if not more. any ideas? Thank you for your time.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 10:53 PM   in reply to Kar209

Could you please post lores of the images on this Forum (no attachements to mail replies) or a screenshot of the layered file?

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,873 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Sep 18, 2013 1:06 AM   in reply to Kar209

Kar209 wrote:

what does it mean, when using the Edit > Auto Align Layers, "Layers do not overlap enough to detect alignment... Layers should overlap by at least 40%.

i'm certain that i have overlapped the shapes by at least that if not more. any ideas? Thank you for your time.

Auto Align Layers can be used to align several shots taken from the same angle, as when producing an HDR, but you can also use it for producing a panorama by aligning several shots where the camera has been panned from one shot to the next.  The above error message refers to the latter use, and is telling you that was not enough overlap information between one or more image pairs to work out the alignment.  40% is erring on the safe side IMHO, but you need at least 30% to be reasonably sure of a good merge.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 9:22 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Thank you Trevor ...

i later found an article that better explained it to me. i'm new to Ps. thus far i've been doing just icon design and only recently delving into the actual photo side of photoshop

so, from now on when i take pics i should make sure i include at least 35/40% of the previous image in the following image ... ??

i went down to the bay to take pics of the sun setting around the fishing boats and wanted to get as much of the bay as possible. but now i realize i must head back to take a new set.

thanx again!

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,873 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Sep 18, 2013 11:12 PM   in reply to Kar209

Something to consider when photographing for a panorama, is that the camera is effectively capturing part of the inside of a sphere.  In fact, if you use a fish eye lens, you could literally be photographing a full 180° arc, and flattening it onto your image.  So Photoshop has to stretch the sides and corners of the individual images to fit them together.  Otherwise the finished panorama would go fat-thin-fat-thin-fat height wise across its width.  It uses lens and camera information from EXIF (where available) to help, but, by heck, it’s clever stuff, and you need to give Photoshop plenty of information to work with.

This image is highly stylised, and more out of my imagination rather than a true representation, but it might help demonstrate the point I am struggling to make.  It’s humbling to know that some of the people who make this stuff work, are regular posters to this forum. 

Pano Example.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 11:28 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

wow! thank you so much Trevor!!

that was awesome!! i tottally get it. i am not a photographer at all and it blows my mind - the knowledge that professionals have about the vast subject, such as lighting, angles, film type, this, that and everything ...

indeed ... i am humbled by the artistry of photography.

i know there's a ton to learn but as my mom always said ... time will come and go rather you decide to do something or not

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2014 8:04 AM   in reply to Community Help

I don't understand why this feature to "distribute horizontal" works great in the other adobe applications but not in Photoshop. This works great if I only work with equally sized objects but Adobe must know that the majority of the time your not, because they allow this to work correctly in their other applications. Time to update this feature Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2014 8:11 AM   in reply to 31bear

Time to update this feature Adobe.

Or time for you to look for existing Scripting solutions?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points