Skip navigation
ncsp65
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe screwed up my computer with McAfee install

Nov 28, 2012 1:55 AM

Tags: #adobe #reader #mcafee

Adobe Reader Download Screen.jpg

After updating my Adobe Acrobat program, I noticed that McAfee Security Plus had been installed on my computer. I immediately uninstalled the software since I use other Virus protection software, but it has permanently screwed up my Ethernet network connection. I have since researched the problem on the MacAfee Community Forms and there are literally THOUSANDS of others who have had the same problem with McAfee. I have tried all the suggested solutions posted and none of them worked – my Internet connection (via the built-in Ethernet port) has been permanently destroyed. Note that I have tried a Wi-Fi USB card which works flawlessly. NOTE: McAffe is UNINSTALLED but my network card is still screwed up.

Since Adobe installed this software with the Acrobat update, I want to know how Adobe will be compensating customers whose computers they screwed up with the destructive software they included inside their trojan horse called Adobe Reader X download?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 28, 2012 2:31 AM   in reply to ncsp65

Did you uncheck the box in front of "Yes. Install..." permission before installing Reader. (And yes, we all agfree that the box should be unchecked by default).

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 5:45 AM   in reply to ncsp65

Ronald, you are not addressing Adobe here, just fellow users. Questions regarding what Adobe does or decides should be addressed to Adobe, not to us.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 8:21 AM   in reply to ncsp65

It sounds serious. I wanted to find more about it, but searching for "Mcafee destroyed ethernet" but the only hit I could find was this thread itself. Can you post a link to more info?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 9:06 AM   in reply to ncsp65

Ron, your link takes me here:

sorry.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 11:59 AM   in reply to Test Screen Name

I easily found this August article on a previous similar occurrence:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/261165/mcafee_antivirus_update_causes_p roblems_for_home_and_enterprise_customers.html

Don't miss McAfee's response in the Comments section...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 3:50 PM   in reply to ncsp65

I think that your present complaints pertain to McAfee, not to Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 6:19 PM   in reply to ncsp65

I thought that you were asking for a solution to your problem, but now you are back at your initial complaint against Adobe. Unfortunately, we fellow users can do nothing to help you in this but symphatize.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 9:33 PM   in reply to ncsp65

Just f.y.i.: you don't need to install any 3rd-party software if you download the full installer, from either

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2013 4:34 PM   in reply to Claudio González

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about, Claudio- the updater just did same thing to my girlfriend's computer! The update's are automatically set to include the MacAfee software- nobody checked off anything- Why is McAfee there? Not McAfee twisting Adobe's arm- THAT IS A DECISION MADE BY ADOBE TO PACK IT WITH INSTALLER. Are you thick or just an apologist or shill for Adobe? We are having issues with what is essentially malware being packed with a releiable piece of software-Help out or shut up.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2013 5:15 PM   in reply to flameape

Yes, you are right, I have no idea what I'm talking about. It's me who doesn't read the small print when installing software, and doesn't understand that we fellow users agree that the "Yes. Install..." box shown in the opening message should be unchecked by default, and that there is nothing we fellow users can do about it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 11:09 PM   in reply to ncsp65

I didnt even give Adobe permission to update. I closed it when the window popped up and it still installed Mcafee! I immediately uninstalled Mcafee when it showed up. I did not have the same issue as you though. It did not mess up my wireless connection. I am still annoyed that it even happened.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 11:49 PM   in reply to CityGirlUt70

CityGirlUt70 wrote:

I didnt even give Adobe permission to update.

You mean you have automatic updates disabled, and it still updated?  And it didn't ask you about installing bundled software?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points